2014-2015 Building Policies
The Damen Student Center is excited to serve the needs of the Loyola University Chicago community. In order to provide the best service that we can for the large amounts of programs, events, meetings, and every day building use that we accommodate in the Damen Student Center, we have developed a number of building policies that we expect our guests to abide by. You can see these policies listed below. To access a PDF version of our 2014-2015 building policies, please see Building Policies.
Damen Student Center Building Policies
- Animals are not allowed in DSC unless DSC Administration has cleared their presence (i.e. working dogs, etc.)
- Any unauthorized animals found in DSC will be removed.
- Guide or service dogs deemed as necessary by ADA and security dogs are exempt from this policy.
- Bremner Lounge, Rambler Room, and Lake Shore Dining and all other meeting and event spaces in CF do not have built in projection screens and projectors. Any group that reserves these rooms and does not indicate their A/V needs will not receive them for their event.
- All reservable DSC spaces are equipped with AV capabilities. Use of these services MUST be indicated on any event reservation request (specifically the Multi-Purpose Room) so that event staff can assist with operation.
- DSC staff is able to assist with basic A/V needs and the use of any and all equipment in the event of it not working properly. Treatment of the equipment will be the responsibility of the sponsoring organization and fees may be assessed to the group as a result of equipment being damaged, stolen, lost, etc.
- The use of DSC equipment outside of the DSC is strictly regulated. Groups that are interested in using DSC equipment outside of DSC must receive prior written approval from the Director of the DSC. All requests will be considered on a case-by-case basis. THIS DOES NOT INCLUDE GAMING SYSTEMS.
- Groups using the DSC are expected to maintain the general cleanliness of the room which they are using (lobby areas included).
- All rooms (with the exception of set up) should be left in the condition in which they were set. This includes throwing away garbage, papers, and catering items.
- Please contact Housekeeping for more trash receptacles or extra trash bags. DSC staff can call them directly. CUERP may also be contacted for any additional recycling receptacles for your event.
- In order to maintain a safe and clean environment for all people in DSC, all guests are expected to properly dispose of their trash in the proper trash receptacles. Improper disposal of trash can lead to pests and unsightly environments.
- Space for collecting donations can be requested through the DSC Director. These requests are limited to student organizations and university departments. *Please note that this will be strictly regulated going forward in DSC
- If boxes are overflowing with donated materials, DSC staff reserves the right to relocate donated materials and donation boxes. Unattended cash donation boxes are not allowed in DSC.
- The DSC Information Desk will gladly support fundraising efforts by placing donation receptacles at the Information Desk. For safety purposes, these donations must be collected each night by a member of the sponsoring organization or department. In the event that they are not collected, DSC staff will place all donations in their departmental safe.
- No one is allowed to tape or affix decorations to any wall, railing, wood, metal, glass, paint, ceilings, floors, etc. unless it has been approved by the Director of the DSC or the Director of the Student Complex.
- All balloons in the facility must be weighted down with a weight for use in the facility. No free-flying balloons are allowed in the facility due to smoke detectors. We ask that all balloons are disposed of immediately following an event.
- Open flames are NEVER allowed. Candles, incense, and fire are NOT allowed in DSC.
- All decorations must be completely removed and cleaned after an event. Failure to do so will result in a clean-up fee and may affect the status of any future reservations.
- All decorations must be flame retardant.
- The use of glue, thumbtacks, or adhesive on the walls, ceilings, frames, columns, or staging for attaching any materials is not permitted unless by special permission from the Director of the DSC.
- The use of paint (outside of banner décor) is prohibited in the DSC.
- Smoke or fog machines are not permitted.
- Suspending materials from the ceiling or light fixtures is prohibited, as are decorations, displays, or exhibits that require a flame.
- All delivery of items is the responsibility of the organizers of the event and a designated individual from the event must be present to receive the delivery.
- DSC Event Services maintains an inventory of extension cords for use in DSC and CF.
- All cords must always be properly covered and taped to the floor so as to prevent tripping.
- Power for outdoor areas must be requested at least 1 week in advance of an event. Facilities Management will serve, with DSC staff, as the point of contact for this as it relates to outdoor space adjacent to the DSC. You may reach them at 773-508-2100.
- A valid student ID is required to request an extension cord
- If Loyola University Chicago closes due to inclement weather during a regularly scheduled University break or holiday, the DSC will close.
- If Loyola closes and classes are cancelled as a result due to inclement weather during regularly scheduled university times, the following will happen:
- DSC staff will determine if the Information Desk needs to be open
- All dining areas will remain open for business.
- If weather conditions are so severe as to make conditions in DSC un-operative, the Director of the DSC will consult with Campus Safety and the Dean of Students to make a decision. All decisions will be made public to the university community.
- DSC will not be responsible for any damage, theft, or loss of any items left or stored in the facilities.
- DSC has very limited storage. No meeting rooms or event spaces will reserved for the sole purpose of storage.
- The storage or setup of items in these rooms must be removed at the end of the event, unless arranged differently with DSC Staff.
- There is no storage space for departments housed in DSC in the DSC outside of their individual office suites (unless approved by the Director of DSC).
- Mechanical rooms MAY NOT be used as storage space
U-Pass (starting in Fall 2013)
- The DSC Information Desk handles the on-going distribution of all U-Passes for the Lake Shore Campus.
- Once the pass is in the hands of the student, Loyola no longer assumes responsibility of the pass working unless there is an issue with an individual students’ academic status.
- All error codes not related to Loyola are the responsibility of CTA and students may communicate these issues with CTA personnel.
- Loyola coordinates all late issued passes, and any and all late issued passes arrive at Loyola on Fridays between 12PM-5PM. FRIDAY STUDENT STAFF NEEDS TO KEEP THEIR EYE OUT FOR THIS UPS DELIVERY. ONCE PASSES ARE RECEIVED ON FRIDAY, WE ASK THAT STUDENT STAFF EMAIL ALL STUDENTS AND NOTIFY THEM THAT THEIR PASSES HAVE ARRIVED. Please place the sheet with the students’ names on Geoff Foote (Coordinator) desk.
- Starting in Fall 2013, the Damen Student Center Information Desk will also process all replacement pass inquiries. This will require a small amount of research (checking availability) and charging students for the replacement pass.
- All U-Passes are shredded after each semester and student information deleted from all computers at the DSC Information Desk.
- More information can be found at www.luc.edu/upass.
Vendors (outside solicitation)
- All tables will be reserved on a first come-first serve basis.
- No credit card solicitors are allowed in DSC.
- Each vendor may only reserve one 6 foot table at a time.
- No additional equipment will be provided to DSC vendors. No A/V equipment will be provided.
- All extension cords must be secured to the ground as to prevent a tripping hazard.
- No aggressive sales tactics will be allowed. Vendors must stay in the table area.
- All vendors must be approved and reserved through the Director of DSC in conjunction with the Director of the Student Complex.
- No “for-profit” vendors may be in DSC. Any vendor that is asking for money to change hands will not be allowed in DSC.
- Vendors understand that DSC and Loyola University Chicago reserve the right to immediately stop the use of a vendor table or exhibit, or to restrict the future vendor usage of any vendor who fails to comply with terms of an agreement or the values set forth by Loyola University Chicago (i.e. dress, content, etc.). No refunds will be given in these instances.
- Groups using DSC may at no time place, tape, glue, tack or support anything that blocks a window, doorway or entrance way.
- No signs, unless given the approval of DSC staff, can be taped to any window that is not part of an office suite (i.e. main DSC doors).
- Groups doing so will be asked to remove their materials.
- Failure to comply will result in cancellation of their use of DSC.
Wireless Laptop Services
- An inventory of laptops is available for DSC events and meetings. Laptops may only be used for the purpose of the meeting or event inside the Damen Student Center.
- Laptops may not leave DSC or CFSU.
- A replacement fee of $1200.00 will be charged if laptops are not secured after an event.
- Illegal downloading of music, video, and any other copyrighted electronic material is prohibited.
- DSC’s wireless access is available to outside visitors only if the sponsoring event has requested and acquired a wireless username and password from ITS. These are the responsibility of the sponsoring event (if visitor is a member of an event attendance).