Professional Development & Academic Workshops
HOW TO THINK ABOUT PERSONAL FINANCES AFTER GRADUATION
Monday, February 16, 2015; 4:00 – 5:30 pm
LSC: Crown Center, Room 530
As you transition from student to graduate, managing your finances will enter into a new phase. Addressing daily needs will remain important, but you will face the integration of loans payments into your financial world. Additionally, you will want to plan for integrating saving and spending, budgeting in a different way, and planning for the future.
In this session, you will learn about how to think about these decisions from a financial point of view. You will learn two core concepts that drive most financial decisions:
- Compound growth: Assets and debts grow exponentially. The return or interest for this year is added to the total to form the basis for the return or interest for next year.
- Store and flow: Store is the inventory of assets and money flows in and out of that store all the time.
During the session, we will apply these two concepts for simple financial decisions relating to the loan repayments schedule, budgeting, and basic financial planning.
Light Refreshments will be served.
The instructor is Dr. Gezinus J. Hidding, Associate Professor in Loyola's Quinlan School of Business. Dr. Hidding has taught Personal Investing at Loyola. He has managed investments for 30 years. He is the owner and manager of Hidding Investment Management, LLC, which manages investment portfolios in the US and in Europe.
Graduate students enrolled in Graduate School programs will have priority on a first come, first served basis. Register online. You will receive an email confirmation for your registration.
Is there a workshop topic you would like to see presented? Send us an email with your suggestions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Workshop materials from previous workshops
- Graduate Student Writing Workshop
- Graduate Funding Workshop 2011
- Life Beyond the Ivory Tower
- Life Beyond the Ivory Tower (Part 2)
- Marketing Yourself Workshop (Part 1)
- Marketing Yourself Workshop (Part 2)