Instructions for Temporary Tag/Cross-listing Requests
- If the temporary tag/inclusion is by an Interdisciplinary Program is applied for with enough lead-time, the IDP’s tag can be added to the class-section’s Class Attributes. It will be searchable in the Class Schedule, in just the same way a permanent tag would be.
- Temporary cross-listing to a variable-topics number in the second-unit’s Subject Area is an efficient way to cross-credit a class-section for one semester. (Permanent cross-listing, by contrast, usually is desirable only when faculty members appointed to either academic unit are likely to teach the class; extradepartmental courses may be coded into majors and minors on a permanent basis.)
- A Temptag/Tempcross application, when approved, will generate a record for the Dean’s Office, whereby students’ Academic Advisors may confirm and Direct the credit to their major or minor individually. LOCUS does not automate this function for semester-specific inclusions.
- Temporary tags on a specific class-section will appear and operate exactly like permanent tags for purposes of the Class Schedule of that term. Cross-listed sections, however (temporary or permanent), require the academic units’ schedulers to work directly together and with ClassScheduling@luc.edu in Registration & Records so as to set up a Combined Section that may be searched for by either Subject Area Code.
The Temptag/Tempcross application may be submitted either by the “home” academic unit of the class-section sought to be temporarily tagged or cross-listed, or by the “second unit” seeking to include it.
- The heading information of the Temptag/Tempcross form corresponds to the heading information of the Summary Memo eForm. We recommend that you draft in advance all the application-forms that will be part of your application-package, including any Temptag/Tempcross forms needed, omitting only temporarily the Unique Number.
- After you submit your Summary Memo, copy the Unique Number it generates for your application-package onto each of your Temptag/Tempcross application-forms. Then upload the application forms and all supplementary documents, and index all items by the Unique Number of the application-package.
- Information for the existing course-section (item 1) may be gathered by consultation with the “home” department and the Class Schedule in LOCUS.
- In item 2, the description should be particular to the section and both it and the rationale should be as full as needed to make clear your plans for the course and its role(s) in the major(s)/minor(s). The Summary Memo’s brief statement in the Table of Contents, by contrast, introduces the application-package overall and assists approvers and reviewers in navigating the package.
- Item 3 registers, and should highlight, the role(s) the tagged course will have in the tagging/cross-listing major(s)/minor(s), including specific requirement-option lists as well as categories, but also the section’s role in other major(s)/minor(s) it serves (consult the “home” unit).
- Item A is “yes” if the class-section is to be tagged for any Interdisciplinary Program and included in its major(s)/minor(s), “no” if no IDPs are seeking by this request to add the section. Request for multiple IDPs by copying and pasting the line with the additional information. Please ensure that all IDPs are included in the Table of Contents in the Summary Memo, so that DocFinity can collect all needed authorizations.
- Item B is “yes” if the class-section is to be cross-listed with a class-section in any second Subject Area Code, “no” if no cross-listing is being sought by this request. Request multiple cross-listings by copying and pasting the information-template with the additional information. Please ensure that all cross-listing units are included in the Table of Contents in the Summary Memo, so that DocFinity can collect all needed authorizations. Please also note for scheduling purposes that a temporary tag, on a specific class-section in one semester, will appear and function exactly like a permanent tag on that course, but that cross-listed sections (temporary or permanent), require the academic units’ schedulers to work directly together and with ClassScheduling@luc.edu in Registration & Records so as to set up a Combined Section that may be searched for by either Subject Area Code.