Faculty & Staff Directory
Marcia Hermansen, PhD
Islamic Studies, Theory and Method in the Study of Religion, Comparative Religion, South Asian and Middle East Studies, Mysticism, Women and Gender, Religion in America, Critical Theory, Youth Cultures, Islamic Theology, Interfaith Dialogue
- "Islamic Eschatology" in Cambridge Companion to Islamic Theology ed. T. J. Winter, Cambridge, 2008, 308–324.
- “Sufi Autobiography in the 20th Century: Worldly and Spiritual Journeys of Khwaja Hasan Nizami” for Tales of God’s Friends: Sufi Hagiography ed. John Renard Berkeley: University of California, 2009, 286–300.
- “Two Sufis on Molding the New Muslim Woman: Khwaja Hasan Nizami (1878–1955) and Hazrat Inayat Khan (1882–1927) in Barbara Metcalf ed. Islam in South Asia in Practice Princeton, 2009, 326–338.
- “Global Sufism: Theirs and Ours” in Sufis in Western Society: Global Networking and Locality eds. Ronald Geaves and Markus Dressler, Routledge, 2009, 26–45.
- “An Early 20th Century Indian Sufi (Khwaja Hasan Nizami’ d. 1955) Views Hinduism” Comparative Islamic Studies 4, (1–2: 2010), 157–179.
- “Cultural Worlds/Culture Wars: Contemporary American Muslim Perspectives of the Role of Culture” in Journal of Islamic Law and Culture 11 (3, 2010): 185–194.
- “Reconciliation and the return to Normalcy in the Light of Islamic Theology” for Reconciliation in Interfaith Perspective: Jewish, Christian and Muslim Voices ed. by Reimund Bieringer. Leuven: Peeters, 2011, 207–229.
- “South Asian Sufism in the United States” in South Asian Sufis: Devotion, Devotion, and Destiny. Ed. Charles Ramsey New York: Continuum, 2012, 247–268.
- “Acts of Salvation: Agency, Others and Prayer beyond the Grave in Islam” in Between Heaven and Hell: Islam, Salvation, and the Fate of Others. Ed. Mohammad Hassan Khalil, Oxford University Press, 2012, 273–286.
- “Muslim Youth and Religious Identity: Classical Perspectives and Contemporary Issues” in “Children, Childhood, and Religious Ethics: Jewish, Christian, and Muslim Perspectives.” ed. Don Browning and Marcia Bunge, Cambridge University Press, 2012, 119–134.
- "The Rise of the Global Media Preacher: Yusuf al-Qaradawi" in "Islam in the Modern World," Jeffrey Kenney and Ebrahim Moosa (eds). Barnes and Noble, 2013, 301–318.