Welcome to the office for Community Service and Action!
The mission of the office for Community Service and Action (CSA) is to serve the diverse Loyola and local communities by fostering mutually beneficial partnerships designed to support neighbors in need.
We aim to build the greater good by combining our gifts and talents to create the change we seek.
Rooted in the mission of Jesuit education, our vision is to “educate the whole person of solidarity for the real world.” These words of Peter-Hans Kolvenbach, SJ, former Superior General of the Society of Jesus, remind us that we serve hoping to shape ourselves as we shape the world. Kolvenbach continues:
"When the heart is touched by direct experience, the mind may be challenged to change. Personal involvement with innocent suffering, with the injustice others suffer, is the catalyst for solidarity which then gives rise to intellectual inquiry and moral reflection.
"Students, in the course of their formation, must let the gritty reality of this world into their lives, so they can learn to feel it, think about it critically, respond to its suffering and engage it constructively. They should learn to perceive, think, judge, choose and act for the rights of others, especially the disadvantaged and the oppressed…"
We serve not just for the sake of serving. We act not just for the sake of acting. We stand with our neighbors to transform the world, to transform our minds and to transform our hearts. Will you join us?
How to Get Involved
- Join a one-time service project
- Serve long-term at a local agency
- Expand your knowledge of our local and global communities
- Explore ways to serve while at Loyola and after
- Deepen your understanding of social justice issues through the Ignatian pedagogy of justice
- Share your ideas for how we might effectively collaborate on projects
- Help us identify mutually beneficial ways of supporting one another
Faculty & Staff
- Use our resources as you seek meaningful volunteer experiences for students
- Incorporate us in your programs and resource offerings