Should threatening weather conditions develop:
- Turn on one of the weather alert radio or television stations listed below:
CALL LETTERS RADIO TELEVISION WBBM 780 AM CHANNEL 2 WMAQ 670 AM CHANNEL 5 WLS 890 AM CHANNEL 7 WGN 720 AM CHANNEL 2 WLUW 88.7 FM Ph: 773.508.8900
- If the weather service issues a severe weather or tornado warning for the Chicagoland area, alert employees and students in your immediate area.
Tornado Watch: Means conditions are favorable for the development of tornados. Tornado Warning: Means a tornado has been sighted in the area.
- Close all doors; stay away from windows.
- Move students/employees to a lower level hallway or basement.
- If available, take a battery powered radio and flashlight with you.
- Remain in the sheltered area until an all clear is given.
- If the phones are working, call Loyola's weather line at 8-8900 to confirm the status of operations during the severe weather warning.
- Best Area for shelters:
- Inside walls on opposite side of corridor from which storm is approaching.
- Restrooms without windows
- Interior hallway on lowest or ground floor (no windows and doors secured at either end).
- Areas to Avoid:
- Rooms with large roof spans, such as gymnasiums, and auditoriums.
- End rooms in one-story buildings.
- Rooms with large glass area.
- Hallways that could become "wind tunnels."
- When outside in the open:
- Move at right angles away from the tornado.
- Attempt to reach a shelter, such as a building basement.
- If there is no time to escape or find shelter, lie flat in a ditch or depression.
- Call 4-4911 to report any damage or injuries resulting from severe weather.