Responsibility and Control
- Notify the President and the Emergency Policy Group when required.
- Declare a campus emergency and close the University when required.
- Function as the highest level of authority during an emergency.
Senior Vice President for University Administration
- Notify the Emergency Response Team (Tab 2) and activate Emergency Operations Center.
- Control the emergency operation.
- Establish priorities for use of personnel and resources.
- Authorize deviations of procedures for implementing the Emergency Response Plan.
- Oversee the operation of the Emergency Operations Center.
The Department of Campus Safety
- Secure the emergency/disaster area and conduct emergency actions to minimize danger to persons and/or property.
- Notify city and/or county emergency response agencies (e.g., CPD, fire department) apprising them of the situation and requesting their assistance.
- Notify appropriate University officials on the Emergency Notification Roster (Tab 1), apprising them of the situation and requesting appropriate assistance.
- Direct and coordinate University resources to respond to the emergency until relieved by the Vice President for Facilities.
Facilities, Operations, and Maintenance (FOM)
- Conduct emergency fire suppression, evacuation, and rescue efforts as needed. * Conduct damage assessments.
- Direct crews to clear debris, make temporary repairs, secure utilities, and restore services.
- Determine safety of buildings, and recommend building/facility closure.
- Assess damage to water and sewer systems to determine possible contamination.
- Direct efforts to control hazardous material and determine status of radioactive and/or chemical materials.
- Coordinate clean-up operations.
- Coordinate and handle emergency feeding for students, staff, faculty, and volunteer workers.
- Determine the number of students who will require emergency shelter and coordinate their relocation to suitable emergency shelters located on and off campus.
- Coordinate and manage emergency shelter operations.
- Provide a current listing of resident students by location to Student Development and Public Affairs.
Dean of Students Office
- Coordinate and establish a 24 hour telephone hot line to respond to inquiries from parents and relatives.
- Organize student volunteers (as a last resort) for operational use during the emergency.
- Notification to Academic Deans regarding student status.
- Coordinate students' personal and academic needs.
University Marketing and Communications
- Establish a Media Center in proximity to the Emergency Operations Center.
- Identify and brief appropriate spokesperson.
- Develop and issue appropriate communications.
- Plan and execute news briefings for media, as needed.
- Provide information to the print and electronic media.
- Develop and issue internal communications relating to the emergency.
- Handle emergency purchases and coordinate the distribution of supplies.
- Determine what non-campus equipment and personnel will be required and arrange for contract services.
- Initiate a records-keeping system for all expenditures.
Information Technology Services
- Install and activate telephones, faxes, and computers in the Emergency Operations Center and Media Center - as required.
- Coordinate restoration of telephones, faxes, and computers campus wide.
- In coordination with Student Affairs establish a phone bank for 24 hour emergency hot lines.
- In coordination with Public Affairs, update Internet Home Page.
- Be prepared to provide laptops and cell phones.
- Determine status of campus work force and establish a procedure for shift assignments for all campus staff to include staff working 24 hours straight.
- Schedule times to relieve crews on duty.
- Coordinate and organize a "personnel pool" of available volunteers.
- Coordinate EAP debriefing for employees, as needed.
University Ministry and Mission
- Assist medical personnel in attending to the injured.
- Notify parents and relatives of serious injury or death.
- Coordinate spiritual and pastoral counseling services as needed during and following a crisis.
Government and Community Relations
- Coordinate with city and county officials for emergency support services, as needed.
- Inform the city of our availability of resources in case of a disaster or major emergency in one of the communities around our campuses.
- Coordinate psychological services for students affected by the crisis, both during and following the event.
- Handle injured or deceased persons until they can be evacuated to an appropriate medical facility.
- Direct medical response for injured persons.