By staying ahead of the changing regulatory landscape, you can position yourself and your business for the future. In Loyola's Master of Jurisprudence (MJ) degree program in Compliance and Enterprise Risk Management you will focus on learning key compliance and risk management concepts across industries.
This online program is designed to help you build the legal knowledge and develop the skill set to create proactive solutions to day-to-day business challenges. You’ll also be eligible to sit for compliance industry examinations to earn additional credentials to advance your career.
Our commitment to you
Upon graduation with an MJ degree from Loyola, you will possess the following knowledge, skills, and professional values necessary to lead in the field of compliance:
You will be proficient in various laws and regulations that impact the highly regulated business world across a variety of industries.
You will be able to:
- Analyze ways in which policies directly and indirectly influence various business sectors and can give rise to ethical or compliance violations
- Integrate laws and regulations to operational policies and procedures to yield best practice and affirm ethical business conduct
- Be prepared to successfully pass the Compliance Certification Board Certified Compliance and Ethics Professional (CCEP) certification exam
- Communicate effectively in a professional and credible manner
- Serve as a compliance professional across a number of industries
You will be able to advocate for the changes necessary to advance social justice and equity across a variety of industries.
By the numbers
OF ONLY 14 PROGRAMS IN THE US ACCREDITED BY THE COMPLIANCE CERTIFICATION BOARD
FACULTY, ALL EXPERTS IN AREAS OF COMPLIANCE
ONLINE COURSES FOCUSING IN COMPLIANCE
You can choose to start the program in the fall term (early September), spring term (starting in January) or summer term (starting in May). Offered exclusively online, you can complete the program in 6 semesters (2 years, including summers).
- Introduction to Legal Study and Legal Writing
- Business Organizations
- Introduction to Legal Research
- Corporate Compliance
- Enterprise Risk Management
- MJ Thesis Project, Term 1
- MJ Thesis Project, Term 2
- Case Studies in Compliance
- Compliance Seminar Series
- Compliance Training Methods
- Conducting Internal Investigations
- Contract Drafting
- Drafting Policies and Procedures
- European Union Privacy Law
- Financial Institution Regulation
- The Foreign Corrupt Practices Act
- Global Compliance
- International Business Law
- Leadership and Management Seminar Series
- Privacy and Security of Corporate Information
- Privacy Breach Incident Management & Reporting
- Privacy Program Management
- Securities Regulation
- Transactional Skills
Education Immersion Weekends
In addition to the required curriculum for the MJ in Compliance and Enterprise Risk Management, you are required to travel to Loyola's Chicago campus at least twice during your program for Education Immersion Weekends (EIWs). Though you are encouraged to attend as many EIW sessions as you would like at any time in the program, you should plan to attend one EIW in your first or second term of the program to participate in orientation sessions. The second EIW or on-campus event can be scheduled at a time that is convenient for you (for example, to attend a symposium event or to participate in commencement). EIWs offer programming to reinforce learning objectives, provide a venue for networking, and foster communication among students, alumni, and faculty.
To earn your degree, you must complete 24 credits, including completion of a master's thesis. You must attend two Education Immersion Weekends at Loyola's Chicago campus. Visit our Registrar for a complete list of degree requirements, academic calendars, and registration process.
To apply for the MJ in Compliance and Enterprise Risk Management program, you must possess a Bachelor's degree or its equivalent from an accredited college or university. You must demonstrate a professional connection to the subject area through two years of professional experience.
- August 1: Fall Term Application Deadline
- December 1: Spring Term Application Deadline
- April 1: Summer Term Application Deadline
“I searched for a program that could help me gain the skills and knowledge that I needed to understand complex legal and compliance issues.”
“Every course I’ve taken has been relevant and helpful to my work as a compliance and ethics professional.”
“I am very glad I did decide to pursue an advanced degree and pleased that I chose a well-respected school like Loyola. I should have done it sooner.”
Tuition and Fees
The School of Law and Loyola's Office of Student Financial Assistance are committed to helping students secure the necessary financial resources to make their legal education at Loyola affordable.
What can I do with my MJ degree?
The skills and knowledge gained with Loyola's online MJ degree will equip you to develop and maintain regulatory compliance programs in a variety of public and private industries. Many students use their education to advance within their current organizations and others transition to new compliance and risk management roles. Our graduates work in a variety of compliance and risk management positions in different business settings, including banking and finance, tax, marketing, and higher education.
Can I transfer credits from other schools?
Due to the unique nature of our online degrees, transfer credits are generally not accepted. Applicants or students seeking exceptions to this rule should request consideration of transfer credit in the application process.
What can I expect from the online course experience?
Courses are taught by full-time faculty members at Loyola as well as leading practitioners, each experts in their fields. Each course is organized to teach key substantive areas and practical skills. All courses are offered online through Loyola’s learning management system and consist of reading assignments, recorded lectures, quizzes or exams, bulletin board assignments, writing assignments, and live classes. Course materials are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Please review this short video for an overview of the online course platform and experience.