Online MJ in Business Law & Compliance
The Masters of Jurisprudence (MJ) in Business Law & Compliance is a two-year, part-time online degree program designed specifically for business professionals who want to develop expertise in compliance and business legal principles, with a focus on practical skills needed to develop and maintain regulatory compliance programs. The MJ degree is a valuable asset for professionals who seek a greater understanding of the law but do not plan to practice law.
MJ candidates will enjoy a curriculum focused on current real world business and legal issues; they will learn key business law and compliance concepts and develop the skills they need to explore and create proactive solutions within a business and regulatory context. Our curriculum helps students gain technical expertise in the laws and regulations that affect business on a day-to-day basis. The degree is applicable in almost any public or private sector industry, as well as in the not-for-profit world.
Our mission is to educate diverse, talented students to contribute a deeper understanding of business law and compliance in the rapidly changing business world, while emphasizing the importance of regulatory compliance and ethical business conduct. Whether you are seeking to expand your employment opportunities or to just gain a better understanding of the legal aspects of business and compliance, this program will enable you to enhance your resume with a preferred qualification.
Many MJ students choose to focus their studies on compliance coursework and can choose to pursue a certificate in compliance studies, which highlights their skills in compliance and qualifies them to sit for compliance industry examinations. For more on the compliance certificate and areas of focus, visit the Compliance Studies homepage.
By the end of this program students will be able to:
- Describe the various laws and regulations that impact the highly regulated business world across a variety of industries.
- Analyze ways in which governmental, institutional and professional policies directly and indirectly influence various business sectors and can give rise to ethical or compliance violations.
- Integrate laws and regulations to operational policies and procedures to yield best practice and affirm ethical business conduct.
- Demonstrate the skills and knowledge necessary to successfully pass the Compliance Certification Board Certified Compliance and Ethics Professional (CCEP) certification exam for students enrolled in the compliance certificate option.
- Demonstrate the ability to effectively communicate in a professional and credible manner.
- Demonstrate mastery of the skills necessary to serve as a compliance professional across a number of industries.
- Advocate for the changes necessary to advance social justice and equity across a variety of industries.
The US Department of Education requires any institution offering distance education/online programs to students outside of its home state to acquire authorization from the states in which students reside. Regulations vary from state to state. While Loyola University Chicago is authorized, exempt or pursuing authorization in most states, some restrictions apply. Please see our State Authorization page for the most up-to-date information.
Loyola University Chicago is registered as a private institution with the Minnesota Office of Higher Education pursuant to sections 136A.61 to 136A.71. Registration is not an endorsement of the institution. Credits earned at the institution may not transfer to all other institutions.