Mission and History
The Loyola Community Literacy Center opened in 1992 in Stebler Hall on the Lake Shore Campus of Loyola University Chicago and has operated continuously during both Fall and Spring semesters since that time. It is currently located in Loyola Hall on the Lake Shore Campus, 1110 W Loyola Avenue, 2nd floor.
The LCLC is one of Loyola University's Service Learning projects. Our goal is to provide individual assistance to all adults, both native-born and foreign-born, who wish to improve their reading, writing, and speaking skills in English. The LCLC serves a highly diverse community of native-born and foreign-born adult learners. One of our learners said that because of the Center, she felt welcome and included in the community. Our tutors are Loyola students or alumni, some of whom elect to earn course credit for tutoring in the Center as part of an internship. All tutors receive an orientation to the LCLC and to tutoring adults; all tutoring is supervised by an on-site manager and experienced assistants.
The Director of the LCLC is Jacqueline Heckman, who teaches in the English Department. The Founding Director is Allen J. Frantzen, Professor Emeritus of English.
The Loyola Community Literacy Center is funded by the College of Arts and Sciences, the Department of English, and the Paul Glassco Endowment Fund. In addition, the Center has received support from the Graduate School. The main expenses of the LCLC are staff salaries for the managers and lead tutors and supplies (including readers, dictionaries, and other texts and materials for learners).