Transfer Credit

Don't worry. We'll make sure you get the credit you deserve.

The credits you have earn at other post-secondary institutions are evaluated when you apply and are admitted to Loyola. As a transfer student, you will receive an e-mail shortly after receiving admission. This summary report will outline course by course the results of the credit evaluation.

Before you apply, we recommend prospective students use Loyola’s Mylist Tool or to look up available course equivalency information. Also, if a class is not listed on either, it may still be transferable.

Credit Policies

Loyola awards transfer credit for college-level, academic courses completed at other regionally accredited two-year and four-year post-secondary institutions.

  • Credit is awarded in semester hours. Courses completed in quarter hours will be converted into semester hours.
  • A maximum of 64 semester credits is accepted from two-year colleges. There is no maximum number of credits from four-year institutions.
  • A minimum of 120 total semester hours must be completed in order to graduate with a bachelor's degree.
  • Transfer students have two options to earn a degree. They can take their final, uninterrupted 45 hours of instruction at Loyola, or they need to take a minimum of 60 hours in-residence at Loyola.
  • Once enrolled as a degree-seeking student at Loyola, students must request permission to take courses and earn college credit elsewhere.

Grade Policies

  • Courses completed at another post-secondary school with a grade of D- or higher may be eligible for credit transfer. Freshman students must have a grade of B or higher.
  • Students are required to meet other minimum grade requirements to satisfy any necessary prerequisites or curriculum. This could be for the Loyola's Core Curriculum or for a specific major or school.

Credit Not Accepted

  • Trade school, job training, or continuing education courses
  • Developmental courses (below 100-level)
  • English as a Second Language (ESL) course credit
  • Courses from institutions that are not regionally accredited

AP, IB, CLEP, and Cambridge Credit

Transfer students who meet Loyola's score guidelines may receive credit in select subjects for Advance Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB), College-Level Examination Program (CLEP), and Cambridge International Examinations.

These score guidelines vary from institution to institution. Students must submit official copies of their AP, IB, CLEP, and Cambridge test results directly to Loyola for review and credit approval.

Visit our credit by examination page to see credit guidelines.

College Credit in High School

Transfer students can receive credit for college courses completed during high school, referred to as dual enrollment credit. An application form is required for dual enrollment credit and must be submitted to the Office of Registration and Records.

  • A completed application form must be received within the first 30 calendar days of a student's initial start at Loyola.
  • The college course must have been conducted in conjunction with an institution of higher education.
  • The student must have earned a grade of B or higher in these transfer courses.
  • Students awarded this transfer credit are limited to a maximum of 36 credit hours for the combined total of AP credit, IB credit, CLEP, Cambridge, and transfer credit.
  • The transfer credits will be applied toward the normal 120 credit-hour graduation requirement and be consistent with transfer rules for the University Core, major, school, or elective credit.
  • An exception may be granted to students who attend a high school where they can earn an associate degree there. These students may transfer up to 64 credit hours to Loyola.
  • This policy will be administered by the Office of Registration and Records.

International Credit

Transfer students who attended a college or university outside of the United States from a non-U.S. institution may receive credit for prior coursework that can be applied toward a Loyola undergraduate degree.

They will need to submit their transcripts to Educational Perspectives (EP) for evaluation and request that a Catalog Match Evaluation report be sent to Loyola University Chicago. The report will provide the student and Loyola with information on whether international credit will transfer.

Military Credit

Transfer students who are veterans of the United States Army, Marine Corps, Navy, Air Force, or Coast Guard may receive credit for their experience and training that can be applied toward their Loyola degree. Joint Service Transcripts (JST) from the American Council on Education (ACE) must be submitted for credit evaluation.

Unlike other schools I visited, Loyola has a community feel that makes you feel like you belong.

Jami Vrbancic

College of Arts and Sciences


student clubs and organizations