"The path to knowledge need not be traveled alone"
Research shows that students learn more and remember information longer when they actively engage in their own learning. One of the best ways to do this is to work in groups. When you and your peers begin asking each other questions, thinking through solutions together, and hearing answers to questions you hadn’t even thought of, you learn better. That's why our various tutoring programs are popular...and effective.
Group tutoring is available during Fall/Spring semesters primarily for 100 and 200 level undergraduate courses.
Please note the Tutoring Center does not offer tutoring for graduate level courses or provide writing assistance. Please visit our colleagues in the LUC Writing Center for assistance.
Peer tutoring is set-up at Loyola in study groups of 3- 8 students led by an undergrad peer tutor. In order to access tutoring, there needs to be at least 3 students in a subject area (e.g. STAT 103) who need assistance and are taking a course that is not currently supported by Supplemental Instruction (session schedule found on our homepage, www.luc.edu/tutoring). If you have tutoring needs and there is not yet a tutoring group set up, please contact Annie Kelly, Associate Director of the Tutoring Center at firstname.lastname@example.org and she will send you a form to complete. When at least 3 students have indicated they need tutoring in the same class, a tutoring group will be created and a tutor assigned. Students are able to partake in 1-hour of group tutoring per subject per week.
There are currently Fall 2018 group tutoring set up for the following subjects:
- STAT 103
- STAT 335
- Math 161
- PSYC 304
Please note we also have Business courses sponsored through group tutoring for the following courses:
- ACCT 201/202
- ECON 201/202
- ISSCM 241
Note tutoring for business courses are located at both the Lake Shore Campus and Water Tower Campus:
- Lake Shore Campus: Tutoring Center, Sullivan Center, Suite 245 - Mondays
- Tuesdays and Wednesdays: Water Tower Campus: Lewis Towers, 12th floor, Room 1241-Tuesdays and Wednesdays
To join the group, follow the directions below:
- Login to TutorTrac
- Use your LUC username/password to login
- Click “Search Availability”
- Select CENTER as “Tutoring Center”
- Select SECTION as your course
- Select REASON as “Group Tutoring”
- Then click “SEARCH”
- Select the date/time of the appointment and you are good to go!
Please note that at the beginning of each semester it is common for there to not be much availability for tutoring on TutorTrac due to tutoring groups not having been formed. Thus, it is important to request tutoring early on so your tutoring groups can be created.
Who would be in your tutoring group?
- 3-8 students per group within the same course (e.g. STAT 103)
- Group can meet once a week for one-hour (same day/time) for the entire semester
- Sessions led by a trained peer tutor
Do you offer 1:1 tutoring?
We offer 1:1 peer tutoring opportunities for ACE Scholars, students registered with Student Accessibility Center and receive tutoring as part of their accomodations, and student athletes. If you follow into one of these communities, you may request 1:1 peer tutoring.
Getting the Most Out of Tutoring
- Request tutoring early in the semester
- Group members can be added throughout the semester as requests are made
- Come to every tutoring session on time
- Attend class, take notes, and do your homework outside of your tutoring time--small group tutoring is a supplemental academic support, not a substitute for doing your own work
- Bring your book, notes, graded work and tools to the tutoring sessions
- Bring your questions!