Rome, Italy (FNAR 342)
For School of Continuing & Professional Studies Students
FNAR 342: Art in Rome
- Program Description
- Course Description
- Housing & Meals
- Program Costs
- Application Process
- Learn about themes, techniques, and functions of art in relation to cultural, social, and historical contexts while fulfilling a core requirement.
- Explore Italy and its rich cultural heritage through a unique study abroad experience designed for students from the School of Continuing and Professional Studies (SCPS).
- Transform your understanding of Italian art history by visiting important sites such as the Roman Forum, the Vatican, and the Pantheon with SCPS instructor William McGuire, an Italian speaking expert in Roman art, architecture, and urban planning.
Click to see the program flyer.
This intensive ten day study abroad program provides students from SCPS with the opportunity to fulfill a core requirement while having the experience of studying the subject matter on site. Virtually all classes will be held on-site in Rome.
This course is a survey of Rome’s rich artistic heritage from antiquity to the modern period. It will examine the multi-layered cultural history of Rome focusing on the art of the Ancient, Early Christian, Medieval, Renaissance, and Baroque periods with reference to the modern city in which these historical monuments exist. Works of architecture, sculpture, painting, and mosaics will be studied within the context of Rome’s evolving historical role as the center of a great empire, as the seat of the Catholic Church and Papacy, and as the capital of modern Italy. Through the study of art in Rome students will gain knowledge of artistic forms, styles, ideas, terminology, techniques, functions, iconography, and patronage in relation to their historical context.
Click to see the sample syllabus.
FNAR 342: Art in Rome
- Enrolled in SCPS
All students on the program will be enrolled in this three credit hour course. This course fulfills the following academic requirements:
- Fine Arts Core
School of Continuing and Professional Studies
During this course, students will stay in shared room at a hotel in Rome. Option to upgrade to a single room for an additional fee.
Breakfast daily, plus additional group meals.
June 7 - 17, 2018
- 3/15—Application Deadline
- TBA—Mandatory Pre-departure Orientation
- 6/07—Students Arrive in Rome, Italy
- 6/17—Students Depart to Chicago
Program Fee of $1,855 Includes:
- Breakfast daily, plus a group meal
- Accommodation in shared room at a hotel in Rome
- On-site transportation, including transportation pass
- CISI health insurance
- On-site program support from local staff and Loyola faculty
- All program academic excursions and activities
Tuition Fee: $1,965
- Three credit hours of Loyola SCPS summer tuition
Total Cost: $3,820
- Round-trip airfare (Chicago - Rome, Italy) approximately $1,100
- Upcharge for single room
- Personal spending money
- Other meals
The SCPS Study Abroad Scholarship is now available for an award of $900 to assist with the cost of the program fee for students who have:
- completed the study abroad application by February 1, 2018.
- a SCPS GPA of a 3.0 or above.
- completed at least two, 8-week sessions in SCPS by the end of Fall 2 session.
- successfully completed CPST 200.
These awards will be determined after Fall 2 grades have been posted in LOCUS. No application beyond the study abroad application is required.
This scholarship will be offered to the first 20 students who meet these qualifications, and is not available to cover the cost of guests attending the program. Students in this program will also be eligible to apply for SCPS summer scholarships to assist with the cost of tuition for this course and any other summer courses they may be taking.
Application Deadline: March 15, 2018
As part of the online application you must:
- Ensure you meet the eligibility requirements to study abroad
- Upload a copy of your valid passport or passport application receipt
- Pay by credit card a $100 non-refundable Office for International Programs (OIP) study abroad fee
- The guest must apply to the program via the Loyola Study Abroad Online Application. Please contact Kelly Heath in the Office for International Programs for step-by-step instructions on how to complete the process.
- Once admitted, the guest must enroll in the 1-credit version of the chosen study abroad course for audit and pay the necessary tuition. Guests auditing the course will pay half the tuition cost (50% of $655 = $327.50).
- The guest must also pay the program fee associated with the program.