University of Deusto (Bilbao, Spain)
Global Exchange Program
Established in 1886, the University of Deusto is a 130-year-old Jesuit university in the center of iconic Bilbao, Spain. Striving for internationalism, the University of Deusto has connections with over 200 universities. A population of about 9,000 students in Bilbao and just over 2,000 students at the San Sebastian campus make this university very focused while comfortably cozy. International students make up 15% of the student body. The University of Deusto aims to serve society through its contributions with a Christian approach to today's realities. With two campuses in Bilbao and San Sebastian, students can experience the multi-faceted uniqueness of the Basque region in northern Spain.
As a Jesuit institution, the University of Deusto provides cultural, scientific, and technological courses while also creating a space where faith and dialogue meet. This strong drive of faith prevails throughout all the curriculum as a drive for knowledge. Promoting justice is central to the university's mission, aiming to serve the community through ethics, human rights, student guidance and support, and cooperative development.
For students who have a high level proficiency in Spanish, this program offers enough courses to fully immerse yourself in Spain.
Bilbao is the financial hub of the Spanish Basque region. The historical city raised some of the first sea-bearing Europeans in the eleventh century. Bilbao's method of salting cod allowed for adequate food preservation for sailors to go on long voyages.
This cosmopolitan and historic city bridges modern with ancient: take a stroll along the Nervión River admiring some of Spain's famous architecture, visit the Guggenheim, or take a short subway ride to the beach.
Fall Semester: Early September to Mid-January
Spring Semester: Early February to Mid-June
As a direct enrollment program, students may choose from a variety of courses within all academic departments. As an exchange student, you may choose courses from any academic year, but you must have taken the appropriate prerequisite courses.
Please note that 4-5 courses must be taken in the student's major field.
Over 50 courses are offered completely in English in the following areas:
- Business Studies
- Media and Communication Studies
- International Relations
...and many more.
PLEASE NOTE: Students who study abroad on Global Exchange programs should prepare for a highly independent and immersive experience. You will take courses with host university faculty and be held to the same academic policies and standards as local students. Academic support will vary across programs and often differs from the support you receive at Loyola. While the coursework and support may be different than what you are used to in the U.S., the grades you receive abroad will still factor into your LUC GPA. Check out our policies page for more information on academics.
The aim of the accommodation program is to welcome students upon their arrival and to help students to arrange their accommodation. The management of the service is exclusively for University of Deusto students. There are three housing options available for students:
- Shared apartment with students: furnished apartments. 325 euros per month.
- Residence hall: meals are included. Includes bathroom, internet, bed linens, towels, a common room, sports facilities, and laundry. 36.78 euros per day (+10% vat).
- Full board in single room: average 750 Euros per month
- Half board in single room: average 650 Euros per month
- Self Catering single room: 400 Euros per month
- Participants in this exchange program will pay Loyola tuition.
- Accommodation costs range from 3,600 to 6,900 euros depending on room type. Total cost for the academic year is 7,200 to 13,800 euros.
- Loyola (OIP) Fee - $100
- CISI Insurance - $300 per semester; $600 per year
Federal Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant, Federal Stafford Loans, Federal Perkins Loan, Federal PLUS Loans, IL Monetary Award Program Grant (MAP), Loyola University Chicago Grants and Scholarships, Alternative Loans can all be applied to your study abroad tuition.
- Submit the LUC online application.
- Once your LUC application has been submitted and approved, the Office for International Programs will share your information with the University of Deusto. You will be expected to complete the University of Deusto application after you have been nominated.
- LUC Deadlines
For more information about this program please contact:
Study Abroad Advisor