Please note that this is not a complete list of projects available.
- Research on Illinois invasive plant species, what they are, why they are a problem, and how to get rid of them. This research will take place at the Loyola University Retreat and Ecology Center (LUREC) and students will live there for the 3-week research experience
- Research in the area of human genomics and epigenetics as well as in the molecular biology of human aging
- Research focusing on analysis of heavy metals in biological tissues, specifically eye tissues such as lens and aqueous humor. We would like to know what role if any heavy metals play in the formation of cataract formation.
- The research group is studying means for dynamically tuning the efficiency of organic (carbon) semiconductors used in the newest generation of cell phone displays. Student researchers will be involved with the surface chemistry which allows us to change the conductivity across these materials.
- A computational project that involves simulating how small molecules bind to proteins. We are currently looking at the binding of gasses to globin proteins like hemoglobin and myoglobin. We are also examining control mechanisms by investigating allosteric enzymes and G-proteins involved in signal transduction. The student would learn about computational methods used to both simulate the motions of protein molecules and to display these motions as a movie.
- Research on lead, the 2nd most toxic species on the national toxic registry. Students will research lead contamination in soil.
- Our DNA is frequently damaged, and to maintain genomic integrity, cells possess an array of orchestrated strategies to identify and repair these damage sites. Students will utilize complementary biophysical methods to dissect the interactions between DNA and proteins that target damaged DNA sites as part of these repair mechanisms.
- There are many issues involving social justice concerns such as minimum wage, minimum living space, drug addiction, environmental concerns, etc. This research will look at a variety of problems using mathematics to present solutions/recommendations based on fact and not emotion.
- Research that spans the use of statistics in many different fields, including many areas of science. The portrayal of statistical results and common misconceptions are investigated, and students will learn the usefulness of statistics in everyday life.