Do you want to go to Rome this summer for a once-in-a-lifetime experience?
Join us for the 2018 SSW ROME PROGRAM!
Join Profs John Orwat and Jonathan Singer in Rome this summer for espresso, gelato, great sightseeing, and two outstanding advanced social work courses (617 Clinical Interventions and 602/610 Advanced Policy). Earn 3 or 6 credits towards your MSW degree. Your "book learning" will be augment with half dozen amazing excursions, including Pompeii, the Vatican Museum, and the Roman Forum.
Summer 2018 Course Offerings
SOWK 602: Health Policy and Health Systems
Faculty: John Orwat
- This course provides students with frameworks for understanding the interrelationship between developments in health policy, the health care delivery system and social work practice. Important aspects of the health care delivery system and financing system are identified including their effects on health care access and utilization. Special attention is directed to identifying the needs of underserved and high -risk populations as well as persons of color. Possibilities for reforms in health care are considered.
SOWK 617: Interventions in Clinical Social Work
Faculty: Jonathan Singer
- This course is an advanced concentration year practice elective. It is specifically designed to assist students to apply theoretical concepts to practice experience. Focus will be on using evidence informed practice as tailored to meet individual client needs. A range of interventions with specific populations will be explored, relying on biopsychosocial principles of social work intervention.
Dates of Trip
June 16th-June 30th, 2018
Trip/Class Schedule and Sites of Interest
Classes will begin on June 16 and end on June 30, 2018.
- Saturday June 16th Arrive!
- Sunday June 17th Welcome lunch and field trip
- Monday June 18th to June 29th Coursework and fieldtrips
- Friday June 29th Goodbye lunch and field trip
- Saturday June 30th Depart
- $400 non-refundable fee is due by Monday, December 4, 2017.
- Total program fee will not exceed $2,200 (inclusive of the $400 deposit). Program fee covers housing, breakfast, all-access bus pass (like the Ventra card), and all course-related tours.
- Other expenses you need to budget for: airfare (~$700 - $1500), tuition, meals, and anything you want to spend on gifts, traveling, and tours.
No application, just a $400 deposit. Please click “Rome Study Abroad 2018” and then “SSW Summer 2018 Study Abroad Program – Rome.” There are two options: $400 deposit and $1800. Choose the $400 deposit option.
Jonathan Singer: firstname.lastname@example.org
The deadline for submitting your deposit for the Rome trip (June 16 - June 30, 2018) is Monday, December 4th. We know that many of you are VERY excited about going to Rome this summer to learn about clinical intervention, advanced policy, and to explore one of the most amazing cities in the world. The first 12 to sign up and submit deposits will be assured space on the trip. You will get the link for the Rome deposit in a separate email. Since traveling is more fun with friends, encourage your friends to sign up.
Several students have already expressed interest in the program. Please complete this 30-second sign-up sheet to let us know you’re interested in learning more and so we have your contact information for updates: https://goo.gl/forms/aLtgbKaAvSSgWG3E2
Thank you interest in our trip to Rome. If you’re 100% in, on the fence, or just curious about what 2 weeks in Rome looks like, check out these amazing photos from Rome 2016 (https://goo.gl/photos/vrcswC4Api3n3b1n7) and Rome 2017 (https://goo.gl/photos/ffzReb5GYmEQkeGh9). We hope you are able to join us in Roma Aeterna, "The Eternal City" this summer! If you have questions, please email us.