Loyola University Chicago

School of Social Work

Frequently Asked Questions

When are scholarships announced?

Merit based scholarships are awarded to a small percentage of newly admitted MSW students. Your application for admission to the program also serves as your application for the School of Social Work Scholarship Award. Scholarships will first be awarded to those whose application for admission was submitted by March 1 priority deadline. All scholarship recipients will be notified via email. In the meantime, you can learn more about our scholarships on our Scholarship Opportunities webpage.

What is the deadline for accepting my offer of admission?

We do not have a deadline to accept your admissions offer but it is recommended that you do so before registration begins. Fall registration begins at the end of March/Early April; Spring registration begins in early November; Summer registration begins in mid-February.

How much is the deposit to secure my offer of admission?

We do not require a deposit to accept your admissions offer.

Can I defer my offer of admission?

Yes, you may defer your admission for up to one year.

Where can I get my campus ID card?

You can obtain your campus ID card after you register for classes.  This ID card grants you access to University buildings, allows you to check-out materials from university libraries, and more. Your student ID can be obtained at Loyola's Campus Card office which is located at 25 E. Pearson Street. The office is open Monday thru Friday from 8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.

Where can I find information on books?

Textbook information for your classes will be listed on the Water Tower Campus bookstore website. You will select your program, the term, the department: SOWK, and course number and section. You can also view your textbook information in Locus following this step-by-step guide: How to Order Textbooks

When will I receive my course syllabi?

Most faculty upload course syllabi to Sakai prior to the first day of classes, in most cases you will receive this information within 1 or 2 weeks before the start of the semester.

Are graduate assistantships available through the School of Social Work?

Yes, the School of Social Work offers graduate assistantships at the beginning of each fall term. These positions generally last one year and most are eligible for renewal the following year. These positions are part-time paid positions for work done with a faculty or staff member. Tuition reimbursement is not included.

I took a Research Methods class for my undergraduate program, will that count towards the Statistics Requirement?

Many research methods courses do not meet the statistics requirement because the content of most research courses is not based entirely on statistical concepts and methods; however, some research methods courses do meet the requirement. A syllabus is required to make a determination.