Back-to-school news for Students
The Office of Registration and Records welcomes to Loyola University Chicago and encourages you to frequently refer to this site. To help you we offer the following information:
Notification of Rights under FERPA for Postsecondary Institutions
As postsecondary education students, you have certain rights regarding your education record. This is our opportunity to give you a brief summary of your rights under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), the federal law that governs release of and access to student education records. These rights include:
1. The right to inspect and review your education record within 45 days after the university receives a request for access. If you want to review your record, contact the university office that maintains the record you wish to review to make appropriate arrangements.
2. The right to request an amendment of your education record if you believe it is inaccurate or misleading. If you feel there is an error in your record, you should submit a statement to the university official responsible for the record, clearly identifying the part of the record you want changed and why you believe it is inaccurate or misleading.
3. The right to provide written consent before the university discloses personally identifiable information contained in your education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without your consent (this includes the release of information to your parents).
4. The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by the university to comply with the requirements of FERPA.
Release of student record information is generally not done at Loyola University Chicago without the expressed, written consent of the student. However, there is one important exception:
Directory information: Directory information may be released without the student's consent. For a list of what information is included in your directory entry and how to block the release of your directory information, please see the FERPA page at: http://www.luc.edu/regrec/ferpa.shtml.
To read more details about FERPA, and to see university policies related to FERPA, visit: http://www.luc.edu/regrec/ferpa.shtml.
If you have questions about FERPA, contact us at: FERPA@luc.edu.
As you are aware, LOCUS is your portal to university resources, giving you control over many aspects of your academic life while you are at Loyola. Highlights of the tool include your ability to view your unofficial transcript, request your official transcript, manage your personal information and your financial information.
You will find the following e-mail addresses helpful links to our office:
- FERPA@luc.edu: For all questions related to the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).
- Registrar@luc.edu: For general registration questions, verifications, transcript inquiries, and similar issues.
Use these links to keep important key dates in front of you. Please be especially aware of the timing of adding and dropping classes as this will affect both your academic record and your financial obligations.
- Calendars: http://www.luc.edu/academics/schedules/. The academic calendars and schedules located here contain the add/drop schedule, the bursar billing schedule and the exam schedule.
- Registration Schedule: http://www.luc.edu/academics/schedules/registration.shtml. Use this link to plan ahead.
You will find it useful in the scheduling of your classes to note when your exams, if any, will be held. Please see the Final Exam Schedule for the current term and note that if your class is offered in a time block that is off the grid (starting and/or ending outside of the assigned meeting times) your exam must be taken in the "Others" block.
We encourage you explore this Website. You will find many valuable university resources available to you on the Students page.