BBA in Accounting
All Quinlan School of Business students must complete 13 courses to develop a solid understanding of all areas of business:
- ACCT 201: Introductory Accounting I
- ACCT 202: Introductory Accounting II
- BSAD 343: Business Analytics
- ECON 201: Principles of Economics I (Micro)
- ECON 202: Principles of Economics II (Macro)
- FINC 301: Introductory Business Finance -or- FINC 334: Principles of Corporate Finance (required for Finance majors and minors)
- ISSCM 241: Business Statistics
- INFS 247: Business Information Systems
- SCMG 332: Operations Management
- LREB 315: Law and the Regulatory Environment of Business
- MGMT 201: Managing People and Organizations
- MGMT 304: Strategic Management
- MARK 201: Principles of Marketing
For a complete list of Quinlan School of Business courses, see Course Offerings.
In addition to the Business Core, student must also complete the following Quinlan School of Business requirements:
- COMM 103: Business & Professional Speaking
- MATH 131 or 161: Elements of Calculus or Calculus I (students majoring in Finance are strongly encouraged to take MATH 161 instead of MATH 131)
- MGMT 341: Business Ethics
- BSAD 220: Internship and Career Preparation
- Two Writing Intensive courses, one of which must be a Quinlan course or ENGL 210
- Global Awareness. The course used to satisfy this requirement may include any course from the GIST major group including ANTH 100, 102. ASIA 101, INTS 101, LASP 101, PLSC 102, or a study abroad experience will count toward this requirement.
In addition to Core Curriculum and Business Core Curriculum requirements, students pursuing the BBA degree in accounting must complete 24 credit hours in the following courses:
- ACCT 303: Intermediate Accounting I
- ACCT 304: Intermediate Accounting II
- ACCT 311: Auditing and Internal Control Systems
- ACCT 317: Managerial Accounting
- ACCT 328: Concepts in Taxation
- Three additional 300-level accounting courses
A student who is an accounting major may be administratively removed as an accounting major if the student earns a grade below "C-" in two or more upper level accounting classes (ACCT 303 and beyond).
At the discretion of the Quinlan School of Business assistant dean, a maximum of one transfer course taken prior to matriculating at Loyola University Chicago may be allowed. A 2.0 average GPA is required for all attempted business courses.
Quinlan students are limited to double dipping once (that is, counting one course twice) between any major or minor combination, regardless of what program the major or minor is taken in. Non-Quinlan students are limited to double dipping twice (that is, counting two courses twice) between business school minors and/or their respective majors.
Students planning to study abroad are encouraged to meet with their academic advisor early in the planning stage. A student will be permitted to take up to two approved courses in any Quinlan major or minor (and including BA Economics majors). All courses must be approved by the Quinlan Undergraduate Dean.
CPA Exam Requirements
Students taking the CPA examination in Illinois are required to have earned 150 semester hours of college credit. The additional credit hours can be earned at Loyola at either the undergraduate or at the graduate-level MSA.
Accounting majors planning to take the CPA exam are required to take ACCT 303, 304, 311, 317, 328, and at least three of the following: ACCT 306, 307, 308, 323, and 341. Legal Environment of Business (LREB) 315 is also required.
For more information about the CPA examination, visit the Illinois Board of Examiner's CPA Exam page.