Thomas J. Regan, S.J., PhD
Title/s: Dean, The Graduate School;
Associate Professor; Academic Dean at St. Joseph College Seminary
Office #: Sullivan Center 240
(AB Boston College, AM, PhD, Fordham University, MDiv Weston School of Theology, Post Graduate Diploma in Pastoral Theology, Heythrop College, University of London, LLD Fairfield University (h.c.)). Father Regan entered the Society of Jesus in 1976 and was ordained a priest in 1987. Prior to ordination he taught religious studies at Fordham Prep and philosophy at Fairfield University and Boston College. In 1988, he was appointed assistant professor of philosophy at Fairfield University where he subsequently received tenure and was promoted to associate professor. He served as acting chair (1992–1993) and then chair of the Philosophy Department (1993–2000) and co-director of the program in Legal Studies from 1996–2000. From 2000–2002, he was associate dean in the College of Arts and Sciences. He served six years as the national president of Alpha Sigma Nu, the Honor Society for all Jesuit colleges and universities in the United States, and is a past president of the Jesuit Philosophical Association. In 2003, he was appointed to a six year term as Provincial of the New England Province of the Society of Jesus. Prior to coming to Loyola, he taught philosophy as a visiting professor at Loyola Marymount University in Los Angeles (2010) and at Fordham University in New York (2010–2011). He currently serves as the Dean for the Graduate School at Loyola University Chicago.
Social and political philosophy, process studies especially Whitehead
- Regan, T. J., “Whitehead’s Notion of World Consciousness,” Fordham University, (Bronx, New York: 1984).
- Regan, T.J. “Governance: International Networking in the Society of Jesus Challenges from a Universal Perspective,” Proceedings of the Boston College Conference on Jesuit Networking (April 2012), https://app.box.com/jesuitnetworking/1/285236923/2304912189/1
- Regan, T. J., “The Intellectual Apostolate” (Documents of Loyola 2005), Translated into Spanish and French
- Regan, T. J., “Political Economy in a Whiteheadian World.” International Journal for Field Being 1: 1 (1), 8: 1–9, 2001.
- Regan, T. J., “Learning from Justice at the Margins,” Proceedings of the Jesuit Philosophical Association (Presidential Address), 1999.
- Regan, T. J., “Animating Rawls’s Original Position,” Teaching Philosophy (19:4, December 1996), pp. 357–370.
- Regan, T. J., “Sartre, Woody Allen, and Authenticity,” Teaching Philosophy (14:4, December 1991), pp. 409–419.
- Regan, T. J., “The Matrix of Personality: A Whiteheadian Corroboration of Harry Stack Sullivan’s Interpersonal Theory of Psychiatry,” Process Studies vol. 19, no.3, Fall 1990, pp. 189–198.
- Regan, T. J., “New Needs...New Paradigms: The Changing Character of Religious Life,” Review for Religious, vol 49., no. 2 (March/April 1990), pp. 220–226. Anthologized in Of Clogs and Stocking Feet: Reflections on the Future of Religious Life, Maureen McCollum, S.A., (ed.), pp. 39–45. This anthology was subsequently translated into French by R.F. Adélard Faubert, F.S.G. and appeared as Souliers Ferré Et Pas Feutrés: Refléxions Sur L’Avenir De Vie Religieuse, Maureen McCollum, S.A., (ed.), pp, 59–70.
- Regan, T.J., “Confronting Minds in a Groove: The Challenge of Philosophy in the Jesuit Curriculum,” Proceedings of the Jesuit Philosophical Association, vol. 51, March 1989, pp. 71–78. (A Whiteheadian Critique of Educational Theory).
- Regan, T.J., “La ‘Process Theology’ et la foi chrétienne contemporaine,” Études (Paris) tome 368, no. 1, janvier 1988, pp. 81–92. (Translated into French by Dana Farnham, S.J.). Selected among the best articles in theology for the year and subsequently translated into Spanish by Eduard Pascual for publication as: “La ‘Process Theology’ Y La Fe Cristiana Contemporanea,” Selecciones de Teología (Barcelona) vol. 28, no, 111. Julio-Septiembre, 1989, pp. 225–230)
- Regan, T. J., “The Problem of the Trinity in Whitehead’s Philosophy of God,” The Modern Schoolman, (Saint Louis), vol. LXII, no. 4. May, 1985, pp. 317–329.
- Geoffrey Cupit, Justice as Fittingness (Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1996). Reviewed in International Philosophical Quarterly, Vol. XXXVIII, No. 3, (September 1998), pp. 332–333.
- George R. Lucas (ed)., Hegel and Whitehead: Contemporary Perspectives on Systematic Philosophy (Albany: State University of New York Press, 1986). Reviewed in The Heythrop Journal, vol. XXX, no. 3 (July 1989), pp. 348–349.
- Santiago Sia (ed)., Process Theology and the Christian Doctrine of God (Leominster: Fowler and Wright, 1986), and Illtyd Trethowan, Process Theology and the Christian Tradition (Still River: St. Bede Publications, 1986). Reviewed in The Heythrop Journal, vol. XXX, no. 2 (April 1989), pp. 235–236.