It is important that students be placed into the proper foreign language course so that learning occurs at the right pace. Placement is based on these principles:
- Placement occurs as needed, but always before registering in a foreign language course.
- Students should first take the placement exam available on our website.
- If the results are not congruent with what is expected for the student's background, students should get help from placement coordinators as needed.
- Students may not enroll in a course that is clearly below or above their current proficiency level.
- If it is determined that a student is enrolled in the wrong course, it is the responsibility of the student to switch courses.
- Placement should occur as early as possible in the college career, by junior year at latest. Placement advising occurs for most freshmen during summer orientation sessions.
- Results of placement exams are valid for 15 months.
Placement instructions are found here: Foreign Language Placement Procedure (PDF)
To satisfy a foreign language requirement (or "test out" of a requirement), students must take the Competency Exam, which is administered by the College of Arts & Sciences (CAS) Dean's Office. To schedule the exam, contact the Dean's Office at 773.508.3500.
Avant STAMP assessments are available in the languages listed below. Competency exams in other languages may be made available by an CAS-approved evaluator.
- Chinese (Mandarin)