Dr. Clara Burgo
Undergraduate Program Director & Assistant Professor of Spanish Language and Linguistics
- Spanish for Heritage Speakers
- Spanish in the US
Selected Publications and Presentations
- "On integrating Spanish heritage learners in the L2 classroom to meet their student needs" (forthcoming in Hispania)
- "Comparing advanced L2 and heritage learners' Spanish grammars: Some pedagogical considerations" (forthcoming in Revista Española de Lingüística Aplicada/Spanish Journal of Applied Linguistics)
- "Teaching Spanish in the digital age: A flipped classroom or just hybrid?" in Handbook of Research on Foreign Language Education in the Digital Age. Edited by Wang, C. & Winstead, L., Hershey, PA: IGI Global, 2016.
- "Approaches to orthography instruction for Spanish heritage learners," American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL), San Diego, CA, 2015.
- "Grammar instruction techniques in the Spanish heritage classroom," 25th Conference on the Spanish in the United States (SiUS), New York City, NY, 2015.
- "Advanced L2 and heritage learners' grammar: Implications for grammar instruction," II Symposium on Spanish as a Heritage Language, Texas Tech University, Lubbock, TX, 2015.
- "Service learning and reflection sessions: the use of technology to connect the classroom with the service," Midwest Association of Language Learning and Technology (MWALLT), Bloomington, IL, 2014.
- "On innovative language teaching in an advanced Spanish conversation class for heritage speakers," American Association of Teachers of Spanish and Portuguese (AATSP), San Antonio, TX, 2013.
- "Social influence in the use of the present perfect for the preterite in Bilbao Spanish." Spanish in Context, 9.1 (2012): 88-108.
- Spanish 101, Spanish 102
- Nature of Language (LING 110)
- Composition and Conversation I and II (SPAN 250-251)
- Composition and Conversation I and II/ Native Speakers (SPAN 252-253)
- Spanish Sociolinguistics (SPAN 367)
- Introduction to Hispanic Linguistics (SPAN 360)
- Spanish Teaching Methods (SPAN 402)
- Ph.D. Hispanic Linguistics, University of Illinois at Chicago
- M.A. Hispanic Linguistics, University of Illinois at Chicago
- B.A. Filología inglesa, University of Deusto (Spain)