CSO Frequently Asked Questions
- How can I schedule an appointment?
Call our office at 312-915-7160, email us at email@example.com, or stop by Suite 1301 in the Corboy Law Center (25 E. Pearson Street).
*Please note that, except in the case of an emergency, we are not able to accommodate same day appointments. We suggest that you call at least three days before you would like to set up an appointment.
- Who is my counselor?
- Maureen Kieffer: All students enrolled in a Child Law or Public Interest Legal Writing section
- Hollis Hanover: Students with last names beginning with A-G
- Sheila Simhan: Students with last names beginning with H-O
- Marianne Deagle: Students with last names beginning with P-Z
- Where can I print resumes on resume paper?
The Office of Career Services has two computers for student use and an InkJet printer where students are free to print resumes and/or cover letters on resume paper.
- Does the law school have a fax machine for student use?
Yes, there is a fax machine for student use in the Office of Career Services. If a potential employer needs to fax something to you, they may send it to 312-915-7194.
- How can I obtain a copy of my official transcript?
An official transcript can be obtained from the University Office of Registration & Records (not the law school registrar's office). You can submit an electronic request for a copy of your official transcript via LOCUS. You can also view/print a copy of your unofficial transcript on LOCUS.
- How can I convert my transcript into PDF format?
If you have a hard copy of your official transcript, you can bring it to the Office of Career Services to be scanned as a PDF.
If you would like to PDF your unofficial transcript from LOCUS, follow these steps:
1. Copy and paste the text of your unofficial transcript into a Microsoft Word document.
2. If possible, delete any non-essential spaces from between the lines of text to minimize the number of pages.
3. To convert the Word document into a PDF document, you will need to download a program such as Cute PDF, which can be downloaded for free from www.download.com (search for keyword Cute PDF).
4. Once you have downloaded the program, click on File, then Print in your Microsoft Word document. "CutePDF Writer" will be listed as one of your printer options. Select "CutePDF Writer" as your printer and click on OK.
5. A dialogue box will open that will allow you to rename the file and save the document as a PDF.
- How can I obtain reciprocity at another law school?
The Office of Career Services will need to submit a request on your behalf to the law school where you would like reciprocity. Follow these steps:
1. Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, email address, graduation year, the name of the law school where you would like reciprocity, and the name and email address of the reciprocity contact person at that school.
2. Our office will then send an email requesting access for you. You will be copied on the request email.
3. Once you have been granted access to another law school's career services office, it is your responsibility to contact the law school and make arrangements to being using their services.
*Please note that most law schools' reciprocity policies allow for access to only one school in their metropolitan area. As such, please only request access to one school per geographic area at a time.
- What does it mean when an employer asks for an "unedited" writing sample?
An "unedited" writing sample may be a final product from your legal writing class which incorporates suggestions from your legal writing instructor but should not be a final document for which you created a draft that was then edited by the partner/judge/etc. that it was written for.
- How do I obtain a PEARSON username and password?
All students and alumni are able to access the PEARSON job posting system via a personal username and password. If you do not have an account, please send an email to email@example.com with your name, email address, class year, and graduation date. Our office will send you a username and password to PEARSON as soon as possible.
- How do I access the password protected portions of the CSO website or obtain the usernames and passwords to other protected job search websites (i.e. the University of Arizona Government Honors & Internship Handbook or Internships USA)?
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org specifying which website you would like to access, and we will send the log-on information to you via email.