Health Systems Management
BS in Health Systems Management
Loyola’s Bachelor of Science in Health systems Management (HSM) prepares students for careers in the administration and organization of health care delivery systems and health services. The HSM degree combines health industry knowledge and application skills with a firm grounding in ethics and liberal arts. HSM is an excellent degree choice for students interested in the business side of health and health care.
The interdisciplinary HSM curriculum is delivered by a seasoned faculty of health management practitioners and leaders, and includes courses from the Quinlan School of Business. Enriched by the renowned Jesuit tradition of education, Loyola’s HSM degree deepens students’ understanding of ethics, values, social justice, business and science. Our relationship with the prestigious Loyola University Health System (LUHS) magnifies the program’s strength even further. Together with opportunity for “real world” learning, community engagement, and research collaboration, the HSM degree offers a pathway for both professional success and personal satisfaction.
The fast-paced change taking place in our health care system requires educated and ethical leaders more than ever. Career opportunities exist in a variety of healthcare settings, including primary care facilities, public health organizations, health insurance companies and government agencies. Graduates also pursue further education in a range of professional fields, including business administration, public health, law and communications.
At the successful completion of the program, graduates will be prepared to:
- Understand the U.S. and global healthcare systems
- Understand the legal, social and economic environments affecting healthcare systems and healthcare delivery
- Understand the needs and determinants of health at the individual, community and population levels
- Apply fiscal and economic principles in the management of healthcare settings and services
- Apply organizational and management theories and principles in a variety of healthcare settings
- Apply principles of information management, data analysis and quality improvement in the organization, delivery and management of healthcare settings and services
- Integrate values, ethics and social justice into the management and leadership of healthcare systems, services and delivery in keeping with the Jesuit Catholic tradition
For more information, see our HSM Program Brochure .