Winter Holiday Closure 2017
Loyola University Chicago is excited to announce the gift of extra holiday time during December 2017. In the spirit of cura personalis, the University is committed to caring for the whole person as we take time to reflect, rejuvenate, and prepare for 2018. Please review several helpful items below regarding the 2017 winter holiday closure taking place December 25 thru 29.
We are writing you today with an important update to the University’s 2017 holiday calendar. After discussion with many campus leaders and feedback from members of the President’s Cabinet, we are pleased to announce that the University will close the entire week of Christmas—December 25–29—and reopen on Tuesday, January 2, 2018. You will receive full pay for the week and are not required to use any accrued vacation or personal days.
This gift of extra holiday time acknowledges our commitment to work-life balance. We respect our community’s need for time away from campus and hope you will take this week to spend time with family and friends while also reflecting on 2017 and rejuvenating for the upcoming calendar year.
Please note that the planned Christmas Eve holiday will change. Originally scheduled for Friday, December 22, it will now be observed on Tuesday, December 26. This means that the University will be open the full week of December 18.
Christmas Day on Monday, December 25, and New Year’s Day on Monday, January 1, 2018, will remain observed holidays. In addition, University staff and faculty will be gifted another three days: Wednesday, December 27, through Friday, December 29.
We were heartened by the number of faculty and staff members who expressed their appreciation for last year’s gift of time, and this encouraged us to repeat the gesture this year. As a community committed to cura personalis, this decision, on a personal level, is an easy one.
Similar to last year, we know that some staff members will be needed on campus to provide support during this week-long closure. To those employees, thank you for your commitment. Please know that your department managers will work directly with you to ensure that you are able to take advantage of this gifted time 45 days before or after the closure. We are also asking all department heads to prepare plans for their area to ensure that critical business functions continue during this week and are handled remotely, if possible.
Also, please save the date for the annual University Christmas Reception. Join us in the Damen Student Center at the Lake Shore Campus on Wednesday, December 20, from 2 to 4 p.m. We will share more details closer to the date.
Again, we are happy to share all this news with you. We hope that it demonstrates our thanks to you for all the work that you do and our commitment to the well-being of all our faculty and staff.
Jo Ann Rooney, JD, LLM, EdD
Winifred L. Williams, PhD
Vice President for Human Resources
Chief Diversity and Inclusion Officer
Loyola University Chicago will be open during the week of December 18, 2017.
- Friday, December 22, 2017 is a regular working day, and the holiday originally scheduled on this date has been moved to Tuesday, December 26, 2017.
- This holiday date change was announced to the University in President Rooney’s August 30, 2017 e-mail.
The three University Closure Days announced in President Rooney's August 30, 2017 email are Wednesday, December 27, through Friday, December 29.
- Similar to last year, we know that some staff members will be needed on campus to provide support during this week-long closure. Any staff member required to work during the three closure days, should work with their supervisor to schedule comparable time off 45 days before or after the closure days.
- “Closure Pay” does not count towards overtime. Actual hours worked and any designated University Holiday will still be counted toward overtime this week.
- Exempt employees will have December 27 thru 29 added as “Closure Pay” to their Kronos timecard for this pay period.
- Hourly employees, or their supervisor, will need to manually select “Closure Pay” from the pay code list within KRONOS for each closure day (December 27 thru December 29).
The 2017 University Christmas Reception will take place on Wednesday, December 20, 2017 from 2:00PM - 4:00PM in the Damen Student Center at the Lake Shore Campus.