Loyola University Chicago

Human Resources


There is a two-part answer to this question. 1) You can enroll in Medicare Part A - there isn't a fee, and it is secondary to Loyola's health insurance plan. 2) Faculty and staff do not need to enroll in Part B during employment, you can wait until you retire to enroll in Part B.

If your spouse turns 65 before the faculty or staff member, they can stay on the Loyola medical insurance plan - and they can sign-up for the Medicare Part A because it does not cost anything. Loyola's medical insurance plan is still their primary coverage plan.

There will not be a penalty if you enroll in medicare after age 65 as long as you have health insurance coverage up until your retirement date. 

If someone is on COBRA and they turn 65, this person will no longer be eligible to COBRA their health insurance plan and this person will have to pick up Medicare coverage.

Did you miss a medicare publication? Or would you like to learn more about general medicare information? Checkout the Medicare.gov website.

Medicare provides diverse coverage for different healthcare needs. Learn more online.

If you drop or lose your current coverage with Loyola University Chicago, and don’t join a Medicare drug plan within 63 continuous days after your current coverage ends, you may pay a higher premium (a penalty) to join a Medicare drug plan later.
  • If you go 63 continuous days or longer without creditable prescription drug coverage, your monthly premium may go up by at least 1% of the Medicare base beneficiary premium per month for every month that you did not have that coverage.
    • For example, if you go 19 months without creditable coverage, your premium may consistently be at least 19% higher than the Medicare base beneficiary premium. You may have to pay this higher premium (a penalty) as long as you have Medicare prescription drug coverage.

Some health care costs that are not covered by medicare maybe be eligible for coverage by Medicare Supplement Insurance (Medigap).

If you need to file a claim or an appeal regarding services and/or support provided by your medicare provider, please visit the Medicare.gov website.