James T. Hussey, S.J.
President of Loyola: 1945–1955
As Loyola’s 19th president, James T. Hussey, S.J., led the University through the establishment of the Water Tower Campus, making it his priority and first initiative to secure a classroom building in Chicago’s loop with the acquisition of Lewis Towers and the property at 41 E. Pearson, the future home of Corboy Law School.
After earning his bachelor’s and master’s degrees at Boston College, Father Hussey joined the Society of Jesus in 1937. He then came to Loyola in 1939, where he served as professor of religion, student chaplain, and alumni director. Additionally, he served as a chaplain for the medical and dental schools starting in 1943 and a regent for the School of Dentistry in 1944.
During World War II, Father Hussey and his administration acknowledged the importance of and need for military training at Loyola. He submitted an application for an Army Reserve Officers Training Unit in 1946, which was approved by the War Department and established on July 1, 1947. Today, the Rambler Unit exists in conjunction with satellite schools DePaul University, Northeastern Illinois University, North Park University, and Northwestern University.
In 1951, Father Hussey understood the financial and academic fallout that would ensue if the exclusion of women from using the facilities of the Lake Shore Campus continued. In one of his more controversial decisions, in September 1952, he had the nursing program transferred to the Lake Shore Campus, more than a decade before the “unrestricted acceptance” of women was an official University policy.