Frequently Asked Questions
College graduates who have completed at least one year of the JVC program. For more detailed information on program admission requirements, see the program application.
Social Work, Divinity, Spirituality, Pastoral Studies, Social Justice. (Dual degree programs are not offered through JVC Magis.) These are the only degrees offered through the JVC Magis program.
Yes, JVC Magis welcomes graduates of schools other than Loyola.
One of the values of JVC Magis is community life. Community is a source of professional support, personal growth, and shared faith. Therefore, all JVC Magis volunteers are required to live in community.
JVC Magis volunteers live in their community house year round.
JVC Magis volunteers serve in Catholic agencies located in the city of Chicago. Placements are located by the program director. The placements are in place prior to persons applying for the program. Every attempt is then made to provide the best applicant for each agency. For more detailed information about placements, and the placement process, see the program handbook and the program application.
Participants usually take six credit hours per semester. (Those students in the social work and divinity program consistently take more than six credit hours per semester. Students in these degree programs will be in the JVC Magis program for three years). More than six hours per semester can be taken if necessary and if permission is granted by the director.
Participants receive several benefits, both tangible and intangible. Each JVC Magis volunteer receives a modest stipend to cover living expenses, such as rent and groceries. Participants are eligible for undergraduate loan deferment, and some participants may be eligible for Perkins Loan forgiveness. Also, JVC Magis provides an opportunity to earn a master’s degree from Loyola University Chicago. Most importantly, JVC Magis allows young adults to put their faith in action by serving and living in community with others.
JVC Magis volunteers are responsible for paying rent and utilities after they move into their community home. They also pay for groceries, transportation, books for class and other education related expenses. While the program pays the annual health insurance premium, all other health and medical related expenses, are the responsibility of the participant.
While some JVC Magis volunteers do find having a car convenient, JVC Magis homes are located near public transportation. Community members are encouraged to share their resources and carpool with those who do not own cars.
- Take Master's level courses at Loyola University Chicago. Depending on the degree program you choose, you will earn your Master's Degree in two or three years.
- Work thirty hours per week serving people in an inner-city Chicago nonprofit social service agency or school. Your job and degree program will be coordinated so that your work will advance you in your chosen career field.
- Explore deeply God's presence in your life. Grounded in Jesuit spirituality, JVC: Magis will help you understand and act upon your baptismal calling to be Christ for others in all aspects of your life — family, work, church, community, and more.
JVC: Magis offers you:
- free graduate tuition
- a monthly stipend for personal expenses
- health insurance
- deferral of your current student loans
- a strong spiritual formation program
- Participants usually take six credit hours per semester. (Those students in the social work and divinity program consistently take more than six credit hours per semester. Students in these degree program will be in the JVC Magis program for three years). More than six hours per semester can be taken if necessary and if permission is granted by the director.
- You will live in a community of up to five JVC Magis volunteers.
- You will receive a modest monthly stipend for your expenses.
- You may bring your own car, however, you will need to cover all expenses for your car including insurance if you choose to bring one.
- You will receive health insurance.
- While you are in school at least half time, your student loans may be deferred.
- If interested you can be paired with a spiritual director to help you discover the best way to use your gifts in the world.
- You will be able to participate in a strong spiritual formation program which includes retreats, communal faith sharing and spirituality workshops.
Direct service: All JVC Magis volunteers will perform thirty hours a week of service in selected nonprofit agencies in inner city Chicago. At least fifteen hours will be in direct service to the clients of the agency.
Because your degree program and placement will be chosen together, your education will help you improve your services as well as the service delivery of the agency.
Leadership: In addition, your two or three year commitment to the JVC Magis program will provide your agency with a trained and capable employee for a much longer period than most volunteer programs, meaning that you can have an even greater impact on your agency and the people that they serve.
Your combined education and experience will make you uniquely qualified for a leadership role in a challenging and deeply rewarding setting.