Careers in Visual Communication
Graduates of Loyola’s Visual Communication program have career opportunities in branding and corporate identity, advertising, web design, motion graphics, interface design, package design, mobile interactive design, digital product design, exhibit design, print and publication design, and more.
The following resources will help you be informed and assist you in identifying areas in design where you may wish to position yourself.
For an excellent explanation of the types of careers currently available in visual communication, check out this link.
The AIGA Guide to Careers in Graphic and Communication Design, by Juliette Cezzar
- Explores how to prepare for careers in the rapidly changing field of design.
Becoming a Graphic and Digital Designer: A Guide to Careers in Design, by Steven Heller and Veronique Vienne
- Examines the variety of career options available in print, interactive and motion design with interviews by leading designers.
The Graphic Designer's Guide to Portfolio Design, by Debbie Rose Myers
- Provides step-by-step instruction for creating professional print and digital portfolios.
How to Create a Portfolio & Get Hired: A Guide for Graphic Designers & Illustrators, by Fig Taylor
- Shows how to put together an effective, professional portfolio.
I used to be a design student, by Frank Phillippin & Billy Kiosoglou
- Fifty influential designers give the low-down about their student days and their professional lives, including a key piece of advice and a warning.
The Critique Handbook: The Art Student's Sourcebook and Survival Guide, by Kendall Buster & Paula Crawford
- An invaluable tool for students in any course requiring critiques.
Building Design Portfolios: Innovative Concepts for Presenting Your Work, by Sara Eisenman
- Uncovers the tips and tricks that have won jobs, as well as the must-avoid moves that have lost opportunities.
AIGA, the professional association for design
- The profession’s oldest and largest professional membership organization provides a wealth of information including job and internship listings, a local Chicago chapter, and numerous events and resources.
- AIGA Design Jobs
- AIGA Student Groups
- AIGA Eye on Design
SEGD, The Society for Experimental Graphic Design
- A global, multidisciplinary community of professionals who plan, design and build experiences that connect people to place.
- SEGD Jobs
- A member-based association of professionals, united by working in the field of graphic design and drawn from across the globe.
- These three online magazines provide up-to-date information about the field and share a job page accessible from all of their sites.
Most of the web sites listed above include internship opportunities in their job listings. Consult your Visual Communication advisor, and review the resources available at Loyola’s Career Development Center.