Loyola University Chicago

Center for Experiential Learning

Types of Student Placements

There are several types of academic partnerships available to your community organization, ranging from service-learning to internships. To learn more about what each of these opportunities requires of both your organization and the student you are recruiting, click to expand each section below. 

  • Require 100+ hours of work over the course of the semester
  • The internship acts as the class; the student takes a small supplementary course alongside the internship
  • Nature of supervision is more intensive, resembling more of a professional mentorship
  • Students expected to do high-level, professional-level work
  • Can either be paid or unpaid 
    • Should be paid if at all possible. Even if the intern is receiving credit, even a small stipend can communicate the level of professionalism expected from the intern
  • Learn more here
  • Requires 20-40 hours of work in the community
  • The service acts as a supplement to a class in which the student is already enrolled
  • Service is one of three types
    • Placement - more traditional sense of service. Students typically take on roles your organization already offers for volunteers
    • Project – Under direction from organization and a professor, students, individually or in groups, produce something new for you or your clients
    • Education/Advocacy – students create content aimed at building or sharing knowledge for advocacy or social change
  • Service is unpaid
  • Learn more here