MEd in Secondary Education
The MEd in Secondary Education is a full-time, field-based program designed for those just entering the teaching field and require initial teaching licensure. This program builds on MEd student's content knowledge, while deepening and broadening their understanding of teaching and learning in immersive urban contexts.
To learn more about the program to schedule a visit.
Loyola offers secondary endorsements (9–12) in the following areas:
- Biology, Chemistry, Physics
*Political Science and Psychology require a second teaching field in History.
- Earn your initial professional educator license (PEL) for secondary education for grades 9–12 along with a Master's degree.
- Gain significant field-based experience in culturally and linguistically diverse urban school environments.
- Graduate from a respected program accredited by the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP) and by the Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE).
- Earn a certificate to teach worldwide through the International Baccalaureate Organization.
- Earn the Illinois ESL endorsement while gaining extensive experience working with students labeled as English learners.
- Candidates will apply deep understanding of both content and pedagogy to provide developmentally appropriate instruction to all students.
- Candidates will hold high expectations and build on the assets of diverse students.
- Candidates will utilize information from theories and related research-based practices when making decisions and taking action in their professional practice.
- Candidates will use data to drive instruction and assess teaching and learning effectiveness.