MEd in Elementary Education
The MEd in Elementary Education is designed for individuals looking to make a difference in the lives of children. Graduates of the program will receive a Professional Educator License (PEL) with an elementary endorsement.
This is a full-time field-based program designed for individuals who are just entering the teaching field and require an initial teaching license. An integral component of our teacher preparation program is classroom experience. This allows students to be involved in guided observations, interviewing students, teachers, parents, and community members, conducting small group or whole class instruction, and engaging with formal and informal educational communities. View our comparison table (PDF) to see some of the way in which Loyola's TLLSC differs from traditional teacher preparation programs.
- Earn an initial teaching license (PEL) in elementary education in Illinois.
- Learn in diverse, real-world settings through a field-based curriculum.
- Graduate from a highly respected university accredited by the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP) and approved by the Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE)
- Earn a certificate to teach worldwide through the International Baccalaureate Organization.
- Gain extensive deep experiences engaging with diverse populations, including students with special needs and those labeled as English language learners (all graduates are eligible for ESL endorsement).
- Candidates will apply deep understanding of both content and pedagogy to provide developmentally appropriate instruction to all students.
- Candidates will hold high expectations and build on the assets of diverse students.
- Candidates will utilize information from theories and related research-based practices when making decisions and taking action in their professional practice.
- Candidates will use data to drive instruction and assess teaching and learning effectiveness.
Explore the program
The Teaching and Learning Program Distinguished Alumnus/a Award is given for outstanding contributions to the profession and the school. It is presented annually at the Loyola School of Education’s Fall Alumni Reception.