Reading Teacher Endorsement
The State of Illinois Reading Teacher endorsement requires 24 semester hours (7 courses and a practicum). Endorsement only program course requirements may be modified only by departmentally approved equivalents. A minimum of 21 semester hours must be taken at Loyola.
To be eligible for the Reading Teacher Endorsement, students must hold a bachelor's degree and an Illinois teaching license. In order to add the endorsement for the middle grades, candidates must have completed the ISBE requirements for middle grades.
- CIEP 423: Content Area Reading
- CIEP 422: Assessing Literacy
- CIEP 424: Assessment, Diagnosis, and Evaluation in Reading (Practicum)
- CIEP 426: Analysis of Reading Materials
- CIEP 429: Children and Adolescent Literature
- CIEP 430: Practicum I
- CIEP 452: Literacy Theory and Foundations
- CIEP 453: Emergent Literacy
- CIEP 454: Writing as Literacy
Continuous Enrollments: Students in endorsement only programs are required to maintain the status of continuous enrollment during their program of studies. This means that during each semester of each academic year (excluding Summer Sessions), each student must enroll in at least one course. A formal leave of absence may be granted upon request and the approval of the School of Education’s Associate Dean of Student Academic Services.
State Requirements: Candidates in all programs leading to Illinois licensure endorsements are required to pass a State Criminal Background Check. In addition, all policies and procedures for receiving Illinois certification must be met.