Faculty and Staff Directory
Sobe, Noah W.
Professor Sobe is a comparative education researcher and historian of education. He teaches a range of courses in Loyola's Cultural and Educational Policy Studies program and also serves as the Director of Loyola's Center for Comparative Education. Professor Sobe is the Chair of Loyola's Cultural and Educational Policy Studies Program and also the School of Education's International Higher Education program. He is an active member of the American Educational Research Association (AERA), the Comparative Education Society of Europe (CESE), the History of Education Society (HES), the International Standing Conference on the History of Education (ISCHE), the World Council of Comparative Education Societies (WCCES), as well as CReATE, Chicagoland Researchers and Advocates for Transformative Education. At present he serves on the Board of Directors of ISCHE and CIES where he is the Treasurer (2013-2015). The author of over 30 articles and book chapters, Professor Sobe's scholarship examines the global circulation of educational policies and practices with a particular interest in the ways that schools function as contested sites of cultural production for the making up of people, peoples, societies and worlds.
- Ph.D., University of Wisconsin-Madison, Madison, WI
- Cultural and Educational Policy Studies
- International Higher Education
- Globalization and Education
- Transnational Circulations of Educational Policies and Practices
- Accountability in Education
- Attention and Boredom
- Education in the Slavic World, Socialism & Post-Socialism
- History of the Field of Comparative Education
- Emotions in the History of Education
- World's Fairs and International Expositions
- Education and Post-Conflict Reconstruction
- Cosmopolitanism and Education
Professional & Community Affiliations
- Comparative and International Education Society (CIES), Board of Directors (2012-2015), Treasurer (2013-2015)
- International Standing Conference on the History of Education (ISCHE), Executive Committee, Secretary (2012-2015)
- American Educational Research Association (AERA) Division B, Section 2 Decolonizing, Transnational, and Indigenous Inquiry, Co-Program Chair (2014-2015)
- World Council of Comparative Education Societies (WCCES), International Convenor, New Times for Curriculum thematic group (2013)
- The Village Project Inc, non-profit organization, Board of Directors
- ELPS 219 American Education
- ELPS 444 History of American Education and Social Policy
- ELPS 447 Modern European Education
- ELPS 455 Comparative Education
- ELPS 550 Globalization and Education
- Summer Research Stipend, Loyola University Chicago (2013)
- Spring Semester Research Sabbatical, Loyola University Chicago (2012)
- Loyola University Chicago, School of Education Distinguished Faculty Award for Excellence in Teaching (2011)
- N. W. Sobe & D. Boven, "Nineteenth-Century World's Fairs as Accountability Systems: Scopic Systems, Audit Practices and Educational Data" Educational Policy Analysis Abstracts (EPAA) Vol 22, No. 118 (December, 2014).
- N. W. Sobe, "Textbooks, Schools, Memory and the Technologies of National Imaginaries" in James Williams (Ed.) Textbooks and the Imagination of the Nation, Volume 1 (New York, Palgrave, 2014), p. 313-318.
- N. W. Sobe, "Entanglement and Transnationalism in the History of American Education" in Thomas S. Popkewitz (Ed.) Rethinking the History of Education: Transnational Perspectives on Its Questions, Methods and Knowledge (New York: Palgrave, 2013) p. 93-107.
- N. W. Sobe & J. Kowalczyk, "Exploding the Cube: Revisioning 'Context' in the Field of Comparative Education" Current Issues in Comparative Education 6 (December 2012), Vol 17, No. 1 (Winter 2013), p. 6-12.
- N. W. Sobe, "Researching emotion and affect in the history of education" History of Education (2012), volume 41, nr 5, p. 689-695.
- N. W. Sobe, "Cosmopolitan Education" In Gerard Delanty (Ed.) Handbook of Cosmopolitan Studies (New York: Routledge, 2012), p. 268-76.
- N. W. Sobe, "Educational Accountability and Global Governmentality" in Gita Steiner-Khamsi and Florian Waldrow (Eds.) World Yearbook of Education, 2011: Policy Borrowing and Lending (London: Institute of Education, 2011) p. 80-94.