Faculty and Staff Directory
Selected Grant-funded Projects
Ph.D., University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA
- Science Education
- Teacher Preparation
- Ecological perspectives in science teaching and learning
- Informal science education
- Urban science teacher preparation & university-school-community partnerships
- Equity issues within science education
Professional & Community Affiliations
- American Educational Research Association (AERA)
- Association for Science Teacher Education (ASTE) - Equity Committee (2017-2020)
- National Association for Research in Science Teaching (NARST)
- National Science Teachers Association (NSTA)
- TLSC 231/421: Teaching Science in Elementary & Middle Schools
- TLSC 300/400: Professional Learning Communities
- TLSC 450: Teaching and Learning in an Area of Specialization – Secondary Science
- TLSC 451: Teaching and Learning with a Global Framework – Secondary Science
- CIEP 540 Seminar — Research in Curriculum & Instruction
- CIEP 600 – Dissertation Supervision
- Smetana, L.K., Birmingham, D., Rouleau, H., Carlson, J., & Phillips, S. (2017). Cultural institutions as partners in initial elementary science teacher preparation. Innovations in Science Teacher Education, 2(2).
- Smetana, L.K., Wenner, J., Settlage, J. & McCoach, D.B. (2016). Clarifying and capturing ‘trust’ in relation to science education: Dimensions of trustworthiness and associations with equitable student achievement. Science Education, 100(1), 78–95.
- Smetana, L.K. & Coleman, E.R. (2015). School science capacity: A study of four urban Catholic grade schools. Journal of Catholic Education, 19(1), 95-128.
- Settlage, J., Southerland, S.A., Smetana, L.K. & Lottero‐Perdue, P.S. (2017). Teaching science to every child: Using culture as the starting point, 3rd Edition. New York: Routledge.