Faculty and Staff Directory
Ozar, Lorraine A.
Title/s: Clinical Associate Professor;
Andrew M. Greeley Endowed Chair in Catholic Education
Specialty Area: Academic excellence, mission and identity, and standards in Catholic education
Office #: Lewis Towers 1114, WTC
CV Link: Ozar CV
In January 2015, Lorraine A. Ozar, Ph.D. was named the inaugural chair holder of the Andrew M. Greeley Endowed Chair in Catholic Education. Dr. Ozar is the founding Director of the Andrew M. Greeley Center for Catholic Education in the School of Education, Loyola University Chicago. (2003) She has served Catholic education at all levels as a teacher, school level administrator, member of the Office of Catholic Schools in the Archdiocese of Chicago, Greeley Center director and national speaker. Dr. Ozar has presented numerous workshops to teachers and administrators in more than 75 dioceses around the country focusing especially on curriculum development and implementation, assessment, instructional leadership, professional learning communities and standards within the context of faith-based schools.
Dr. Ozar has addressed national audiences at the National Catholic Educational Association (NCEA), the Chief Administrators of Catholic Education (CACE), the Jesuit Secondary Association (JSEA), the Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development (ASCD), the Nativity/Miguel Network, and the National Standards and Assessment Conference among others.
Beginning in 2010, Dr. Ozar led a national initiative in the development of National Standards and Benchmarks for Effective Catholic Elementary and Secondary Schools, published in 2012. She continues to exercise national leadership for the Catholic School Standards Project including its website (https://www.catholicschoolstandards.org/), directing the development of rubrics and other evaluative tools and implementation guidelines based on the Standards and Benchmarks, for use by schools and dioceses. Through a grant from the Conrad Hilton Foundation, Dr. Ozar and co-PI, Dr. Patricia Weitzel-O’Neill at Boston College, are conducting national research on adoption and implementation of the standards by schools and dioceses across the country.
In 2015, Dr. Ozar led a national task force of Jesuit secondary and pre-secondary school educators in the development of Our Way of Proceeding: Standards and Benchmarks for Jesuit Schools in the 21st Century. Additionally, along with Dr. Michael Boyle, current Greeley Center director, Dr. Ozar worked closely with and advised a task force of leading Catholic educators in the Philippines to develop and pilot Philippine Catholic School Standards for Basic Education (2016). Currently, Dr. Ozar serves as president of Catholic Higher Education Supporting Catholic Schools (CHESCS), a national association of Catholic institutions of higher education offering programs and professional development in support of PK-12 Catholic educators.
In October, 2012, Dr. Ozar was honored with the National Catholic Educational Association’s (NCEA) highest award, the Seton President’s Medal. Dr. Ozar was also the 2010 recipient of the F. Sadlier Dinger Award and the 2011 recipient of the NCEA, C. Albert Koob Award, both given for outstanding contributions to Catholic education on the national level.
In addition to being the lead author of the National Standards and Benchmarks for Effective Catholic Elementary and Secondary Schools, (2012), Dr. Ozar is the author of “Creating a Curriculum That Works: A Guide to Outcomes-Centered Curriculum Decision Making,” and “By Their Fruits You Shall Know Them... K-12 Religious Education Outcomes for Catholic Schools.” She also contributed a chapter to the book, Scholarly Essays on Catholic School Leadership: Research and Insights on Attaining the Mission of Catholic Schools (NCEA, 2012). Within the School of Education, Dr. Ozar teaches courses in curriculum and instruction, and philosophy of education.
Ph.D., Fordham University, New York, NY
- Curriculum and Instruction
- Administration & Supervision for Principal Preparation
- Instructional design
- Instructional leadership
- National Catholic school standards
- Professional learning communities
- School effectiveness
Professional & Community Affiliations
- American Educational Research Association (AERA)
- Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development (ASCD)
- Catholic Higher Education Supporting Catholic Schools (CHESCS)
- National Catholic Educational Association (NCEA)
- Governing Board member, Catholic Education: Journal of Catholic Education
- Executive committee member, Catholic Identity Curriculum Integration (CICI)
- CIEP 440 Curriculum and Instruction
- CIEP 442 Curriculum Development and Implementation
- CIEP 562 Practicum in Curriculum and Instruction
- CIEP 498 Sustainable Change in Catholic Schools
- CIEP 498 Case Study in School Improvement
- National Catholic Educational Association. St. Elizabeth Ann Seton Presidential Medal, In recognition of life-long dedication and significant contributions to Catholic education (2012)
- National Catholic Educational Association C. Albert Koob Award in recognition of outstanding contributions to Catholic education on a national level (2011)
- F. Sadlier Dinger national award for outstanding contributions to Catholic education (2010)
- Ozar, L. A., & Weitzel-O’Neill, P. (Eds.). (2012). National standards and benchmarks for effective Catholic elementary and secondary schools. Chicago, IL: Loyola University Chicago, Center for Catholic School Effectiveness.
- Ozar, L. New Standards for Catholic Schools. In Robey, P. (Ed.) Scholarly essays on Catholic school leadership. (2012) Washington, DC: NCEA.
- Ozar, L., & Weitzel-O'Neill, P. (2013). National Catholic School Standards: Focus on Governance and Leadership. Catholic Education: A Journal of Inquiry and Practice, 17 (1). Retrieved from http://digitalcommons.lmu.edu/ce/vol17/iss1/9
- Ozar, L. Nelly: A Commentary on Service and Discernment. In Smith, D. (Ed.) A call to vocation: Catholic education narratives. (2013) London, UK: Pearson.
- Ozar, L. (November/December, 2012). National Catholic School Standards: An Accountable Vision of Catholic Schools for Our Times. Journal of Catholic School Studies 84:2
- Ozar, L. (2010) “Voices from the Field: An Interview with Three Prominent Catholic School Educators.” Catholic education: A journal of inquiry and practice. September, 2010.
- “JSEA Futures: Teaching with 2020 Vision – A Reflection on ‘Intellectually Competent’ in 21st Century Jesuit High Schools, JSEA Magazine, December, 2009
- Ozar, L.A. & Weitzel-O’Neill, P. (Eds.) (2014) Nacionales e indicadores para efectivas escuelas Católicas de primaria y scundaria. (Matos, A. V., Trans.) Published on web: www.catholicschoolstandards.org (Original work published 2012)