Office #: Crown Center 573
E-mail: email@example.comE-Commons: https://works.bepress.com/james_keenan/
personal interests include golf and guitar
A.B., College of the Holy Cross
M.A., Ph.D., Yale University
Papyrology, Roman Law, Byzantine Egypt
Professional & Community Affiliations
- Cooperating Partner, project on "Imperium" und "Officium": Comparative Studies in Ancient Bureaucracy and Officialdom sponsored for the University of Vienna by the Austrian National Science Foundation
- Law and Legal Practice in Egypt from Alexander to the Arab Conquest: A Selection of Papyrological Sources in Translation, with Introductions and Commentary (co-edited with J. G. Manning and Uri Yiftach-Firanko), Cambridge University Press, 2014.
- "Payment Order for Cavalry Fodder: SB XIV 12116," ZPE 193 (2015): 244–248.
- "Cargo Checking at Alexandria and the Late Antique Annona: P.Turner 45," (in) Jean-Luc Fournet and Arietta Papaconstantinou, eds., Mélanges Jean Gascou (Paris, 2016): 579–589.
- "Narrative History and the Documentary Papyri: A Personal Journey," North American Papyrology Seminar I, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, May 15, 2015.
- "'They Were All about Dung Receipts!': A Papyrologist’s Progress," Center for the Tebtunis Papyri, Distinguished Visiting Lecture, Bancroft Library, University of California at Berkeley, March 15, 2016.
- "Correspondence of the praefectus annonae Alexandriae: P.Oxy. 24.2408 Reconsidered," 28th International Congress of Papyrology, Barcelona, August 4, 2016.
- Book on the early history of papyrology based on materials in the Edgar J. Goodspeed Archive at the University of Chicago (with Todd M. Hickey)
- Edition and re-edition of PSI 76, affidavits and accounts on a Florence papyrus, early AD 570s (with H. Harrauer, T. M. Hickey, and R. Pintaudi)