Title/s: Associate Professor and Chair
Office #: Crown Center 579
External Webpage: https://works.bepress.com/laura_gawlinski/E-Commons: https://ecommons.luc.edu/
B.A., Randolph-Macon College
Ph.D., Cornell University
Greek religion, epigraphy, archaeology
- Master Teacher, College of Arts and Sciences (2014)
- What Shall I Say of Clothes? Theoretical and Methodological Approaches to the Study of Dress in Antiquity. SPAAA 3. co-edited with M. Cifarelli. Boston: Archaeological Institute of America, 2017.
- The Athenian Agora Museum Guide. Princeton: American School of Classical Studies at Athens, 2014.
- The Sacred Law of Andania: a New Text with Commentary. Sozomena 11. Berlin: de Gruyter, 2012.
- "Pericles, Cincinnatus, and Zombies: Classicizing Nostalgia in The Walking Dead (2010-)," In Screening the Golden Ages of the Classical Tradition, edited by M. E. Safran. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press, 2018.
- "Dress and Ornaments." In A Companion to the Archaeology of Religion in the Ancient World, edited by R. Raja and J. Rupke. Malden, Mass.: Wiley-Blackwell, 2015.
- "Securing the Sacred: The Accessibility and Control of Attic Sanctuaries." In Cities Called Athens, edited by K. Daly and L. A. Riccardi. Lanham, Maryland: Bucknell University Press, 2014.
- "Managing the Ebb and Flow of Competing Claims on Sacred Space," Logistics in Greek Sanctuaries, Swedish Institute at Athens, 13 September 2018
- "A Religion without Priests?: Dressing the Dynamic Identities of Greek Religious Personnel," Outward Appearance vs. Inward Significance: Addressing Identities through Attire in the Ancient World, Oriental Institute of the University of Chicago, 1 March 2018
- "Informal Writing in the Athenian Agora: Graffito Lists in Context," New Research from the Athenian Agora, Langford Colloquium, Florida State University, 4 November 2016
- "Epigraphic Corpora and Greek Religion: What's Sacrae about Leges Sacrae?," Second North American Congress of Greek and Latin Epigraphy, Berkeley, 6 January 2016
- "Engaging History: the Athenian Agora Museum in the Stoa of Attalos” Classical Arts Society, The Art Institute of Chicago, 15 October 2015
- senior field supervisor at the excavations of the Athenian Agora (see www.agathe.gr/)