American Red Cross Certification Classes
Water Safety Instructor Certification
Earn your Swimming and Water Safety Instructor Certification from the American Red Cross, and gain the skills needed to teach courses and make presentations to swimmers of every age and ability. You can help recreational swimmers meet their goals, refine their skills and stay safe in, on, and around water. Upon successful completion of the class, you will receive a 2-year certification.
- Pre-Class Online learning – this can be done at your own pace but must be completed before class starts. Most students spend about 6 hours completing this portion. You do have the option to save your progress and log back in later, so you can break this up into segments.
- Friday, April 13th 5-9 pm
- Saturday, April 14th 1-5 pm
- Sunday, April 15th 1-3 pm
- *Attendance at all class times are required to complete the certification.
- Cost: Loyola registration $125; the American Red Cross will also charge a $35 fee. These costs will cover your instructor, books for the class, and the certification.
- Pre-Requisites: During the first class meeting, students will be asked to demonstrate the ability to perform the following swimming skills:
- Front Crawl -25 yards
- Back Crawl -25 yards
- Breaststroke-25 yards
- Elementary Backstroke-25 yards
- Sidestroke-25 yards
- Butterfly-15 yards
- Maintain position on back for 1 minute in deep water (floating or sculling)
- Tread water for 1 minute
- *Skills need to be proficient, not perfect.
- Supplies needed: A swim suit that you are comfortable moving around in, a towel, a change of clothes, something to write with, a highlighter, a 3 ring binder; participants are encouraged to bring their own goggles, a water bottle, lunch and/or snacks, but there is also food options around campus.
To register, stop by the Halas Recreation Center Front Desk any hour the building is open or contact Kathyn Thies firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information: Participant’s name and date of birth, home address, phone number.
Lifeguard Certification Class
The primary purpose of the Lifeguarding program is to train lifeguards to act with speed and confidence in emergency situations both in and out of the water. Topics include water rescue skills, surveillance and recognition, first aid, breathing and cardiac emergencies, CPR, AED and more. Upon successful completion of this class, you'll receive a 2-year certification.
Dates and Times:
- Friday, April 27th 5-9 pm
- Saturday, April 28th 10 am – 6 pm
- Sunday, April 29th 10 am -12 pm
*Attendance at all class times are required to complete the certification.
- Must be at least 15 years old on or before the last day of class
- Swim 300 yards continuously, 150 yards Freestyle/Front Crawl plus 150 yards Breaststroke
- Tread water for 2 minutes without using hands and arms
- Complete a timed event within 1 minute, 40 seconds: Starting in the water, swim 20 yards, surface dive to a depth of 7 to 10 feet to retrieve a 10 -pound object, surface and swim 20 yards on back with both hands holding object, exit the water without using a ladder or steps
To register, stop by the Halas Recreation Center Front Desk any hour the building is open or contact Kathryn Thies email@example.com with the following information: Participant’s name and date of birth, home address, phone number.
Lifeguard Recertification Challenge
Do you have a recently expired or soon-to-be expired American Red Cross Lifeguard Certification? You can renew your certification before summer starts without retaking the whole class. You can take the Lifeguard test on Sunday, April 29th from 10 am - 12 pm. We will start with the written exams, then do a practical skills test.
Prerequisites: Must have a copy of your current certification or a certification that has expired within the past 6 months.
To register, contact Kathryn Thies firstname.lastname@example.org.
Other Certification Classes
If you have a group that is interested in a class please let us know! We offer the following courses:
- Lifeguard Certification
- Water Safety Instructor Certification
- Lifeguard Management
- First Aid
- Safety Training for Swim Coaches
- Home Pool Safety
- Longfellow's WHALE Tales
- Rip Current Safety
- Blood Borne Pathogen Training
Questions? Contact Kathryn Thies at email@example.com