A.A. Social and Behavioral Sciences
To complete the Associate of Arts in Social and Behavioral Sciences degree, a total of 61 semester hours must be completed, distributed as follows:
- 37 hours of general education core requirements;
- 9 hours of Arrupe College mission-related core requirements; and
- 15 hours of electives, of which 6-9 hours are in one of three declared pre-major areas (Political Science, Psychology, or Criminal Justice).
Except for the lab-based interdisciplinary science course, all courses are for 3 semester hours of course credit. The specific courses or course options required to fulfill these requirements are as follows:
Core Courses: 37 hours
- ACWRI 105 Writing and Composition I
- ACWRI 110 Writing and Composition II
- ACCOM 101 Oral Communication and Presentation
- ACPHI 130 Philosophy and Persons
- ACFNA 105 Western Art: Renaissance to Modern
- ACENG 110 Interpreting Literature
- ACISC 101 Interdisciplinary Science: Scientific Basis of Environmental Issues
- ACISC 102 Interdisciplinary Science: Environmental Processes, Challenges, and Methods (4 hours, includes a laboratory component)
- ACSTA 101 Statistics
- ACHIS 101 Western Civilization to the 17th Century
- ACPOL 101 American Government and Citizenship
- Social Science Course, one of the following: ACPOL 202 International Relations, ACPSY 201 General Psychology, or ACHIS 201 US History to 1865
Arrupe Mission-related Core: 9 hours
- ACTHE 101 Introduction to Christian Theology or ACTHE 107 Introduction to Religious Studies
- ACPHI 281 Ethics
- Philosophy Course, one of the following: ACPHI 201 Ancient and Medieval Thought or ACPHI 205The Person and Society
Pre-major Concentration and Electives: 15 hours
- For Criminal Justice pre-major, 6 hours - ACCRJ 201The Criminal Justice System and ACCRJ 204 Corrections, plus 9 hours of electives
- For Political Science pre-major, 6 hours - ACPOL 200 Introduction to Political Thought and ACPOL 202 International Relations, plus 9 hours of electives
- For Psychology pre-major, 9 hours - ACPSY 201 General Psychology, ACPSY 275 Social Psychology, and ACPSY 280 Abnormal Psychology, plus 6 hours of electives
Outcomes for the Associate of Arts Degree in Social and Behavioral Sciences:
- For Criminal Justice pre-majors, competency and depth in understanding and interpreting the subject matter presented in introductory and corrections courses.
- For Political Science pre-majors, competency and depth in understanding and interpreting the subject matter presented in introductory and international relations courses.
- For Psychology pre-majors, competency and depth in understanding and interpreting the subject matter presented in general, social, and abnormal psychology courses.