A.A. Arts and Humanities
To complete the Associate of Arts and Humanities degree, a total of 61 semester hours must be completed, distributed as follows:
- 37 hours of general education core requirements;
- 9 hours of Arrupe College mission-related core requirements; and
- 15 hours of electives, of which 6-9 hours are in one of three declared pre-major areas (Political Science, Psychology, or Criminal Justice).
Except for the lab-based interdisciplinary science course, all courses are for 3 semester hours of course credit. The specific courses or course options required to fulfill these requirements are as follows:
Core Courses: 37 hours
- ACWRI 105 Writing and Composition I
- ACWRI 110 Writing and Composition II
- ACCOM 101 Oral Communication and Presentation
- ACPHI 130 Philosophy and Persons
- ACFNA 105 Western Art: Renaissance to Modern
- ACENG 110 Interpreting Literature
- ACISC 101 Interdisciplinary Science: Scientific Basis of Environmental Issues
- ACISC 102 Interdisciplinary Science: Environmental Processes, Challenges, and Methods (4 hours, includes a laboratory component)
- ACSTA 101 Statistics
- ACHIS 101 Western Civilization to the 17th Century
- ACPOL 101 American Government and Citizenship
- Social Science Course, one of the following: ACPOL 202 International Relations, ACPSY 201 General Psychology, or ACHIS 201 US History to 1865
Arrupe Mission-related Core: 9 hours
- ACTHE 101 Introduction to Christian Theology or ACTHE 107 Introduction to Religious Studies
- ACPHI 281 Ethics
- Philosophy Course, one of the following: ACPHI 201 Ancient and Medieval Thought or ACPHI 205The Person and Society
Pre-major Concentration and Electives: 15 hours
- For English pre-major, 6 hours - ACENG 275 American Literature since 1865 and ACENG 274 Introduction to the Plays of Shakespeare, plus 9 hours of electives
- For History pre-major, 9 hours - ACHIS 102 Western Civilization from the 17th Century, ACHIS 201 US History to 1865, ACHIS 202 US History since 1865, plus 6 hours of electives
- For Communication pre-major, 6 hours - ACCOM 201 Intro to Communication and ACCOM 205 Communication and New Media, plus 9 hours of electives
Outcomes for the Associate of Arts Degree in Arts and Humanities:
- For English pre-majors, competency and depth in interpreting the themes and content presented in American and British literature courses.
- For History pre-majors, competency and depth in interpreting the themes and content presented in Western Civilization and US History courses.
- For Communication pre-majors, competency and depth in interpreting the themes and content in introductory and media courses.