Charge and Membership
The Graduate Studies Coordinating Board (GSCB) is established as oversight board to coordinate, review, and provide recommendations on graduate studies and program issues across the schools that provide graduate education at Loyola University Chicago.
(1) To review and make recommendations on graduate academic program initiatives including new programs, changes to existing programs that cross academic units (College/Schools/Institutes), and degree requirements;
(2) To serve as a forum for discussing the development, coordination, integration and improvement of graduate education;
(3) To review and advise on graduate matters that affect more than one school or independent program, or otherwise cross the confines of a single school or program;
(4) To formulate long-range academic plans for graduate education.
Any recommendations deliberated and voted upon by the GSCB shall be forwarded to the Provost or and the Provost for Health Sciences, as appropriate. These administrators, in turn, shall forward any matters affecting policy (as appropriate) to the University Senate. (See attached Chart of Approvals.)
B. Membership: (*Faculty members will serve for 2-year terms)
1) Dean, The Graduate School
2) Dean, Quinlan School of Business
3) Dean, School of Communication
4) Dean, School of Education
5) Dean, School of Health Sciences and Public Health
6) Dean, School of Law
7) Dean or Associate Dean, Stritch School of Medicine
8) Dean, Marcella Niehoff School of Nursing
9) Dean, School of Social Work
10) Dean Institute of Pastoral Studies
11) Dean, University Libraries
12) Vice Provost, Faculty and Academic Resources
13) Associate Provost, Curriculum Development
14) University Registrar
15) Director, Graduate and Professional Enrollment
16) Director, Accreditation and Academic Regulatory Compliance
17) Faculty – Health Sciences Division/SSOM and MNSON (appointed by HSD Provost)
18) Faculty – Arts and Sciences (appointed by Provost)
19) Faculty – Professional Schools (appointed by Provost)
20) Graduate Student (selected by Graduate Student Advisory Council)
The Chair of the Graduate Studies Coordinating Board shall be elected from among the Deans by the Board. To the extent possible, the position as chair should rotate among the Deans each year. The Chair may designate an Acting Chair from the GSCB members for any meeting.
The GSCB shall meet regularly, but at least two times each semester. The times of the meeting for the year shall be established at the first meeting following the first day of the fall semester each year. Minutes shall be recorded and posted. A majority of the membership shall constitute a quorum for purposes of transacting any business. A simple majority vote will control the disposition of all votes.