The Department Campus Safety is committed to providing a safe living and learning environment for the the Lakeside Campuses. Our goal is to create a customer friendly environment that focuses on crime prevention and problem solving through awareness and education. By working together as a team, we can create a safer and more secure living and learning environment for all Loyolans.
While we can promise you a committed effort to providing a safe and secure campus, we cannot guarantee a crime free environment. Therefore, it is important that you help us, help you, by taking time to read through the Campus Safety Home Page and familiarize yourself with the safety programs and services we offer. Take advantage of the free shuttle bus and escort services, take a Hot Spots Tour and attend a Crime Prevention seminar. Remember, your safety is as much your responsibility as it is ours, so educate yourself about what you can do to reduce your chances of becoming a victim.
Loyola University Chicago's Lakeside Campuses have developed an environment where safety concerns are aggressively and proactively addressed. In recent years, the University has launched a number of initiatives to bolster its safety program.
- Loyola Alert, an emergency mass-messaging system is in place to relay information during events on campus that have an imminent threat of the loss of life.
- An expanded jurisdiction allows Campus Safety to patrol off campus locations to help maintain a safe environment for our students, faculty and staff who live and work off campus.
- A bicycle patrol unit, made up of trained and certified officers, patrols campus most months of the year.
- All first-year residence halls and most upperclassmen halls have a safety monitor and/or a residence hall monitor at the front entrance or central access points 24/7.
- Over 400 one-button emergency "Blue-Light" telephones are located inside and outside campus buildings and throughout the campus grounds.
- Crime alerts are sent via email as quickly as pertinent information becomes available.
- Safety classes are available upon request by calling 8-2462. Classes include Rape Aggression Defense (RAD), Hot Spots Tours, Sexual Assault Prevention and Safety talks.
- BICYCLE REGISTRATION
- BICYCLE SAFETY/ULOCK
- DESIGNATED PATHWAYS, SIDEWALKS, STREETS
- RAPE AGGRESSION DEFENSE SYSTEM (RAD)
- HOT SPOTS TOURS
DESIGNATED PATHWAYS, SIDEWALKS, STREETS
Loyola University Chicago works to maintain well lit and well marked pathways around campus. The Campus Map is constantly updated to address any closures or detours created by any construction.
Campus Pathways and sidewalks are patrolled by Campus Safety officers on foot, in golf carts and on bikes, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. All pathways and sidewalks have emergency blue light phones placed at appropriate intervals for a person walking in case they require emergency assistance.
Students, faculty and staff are reminded that they should always walk on a sidewalk and never in a street. Jaywalking is a concern at all times and students are reminded to only cross intersections at a crosswalk and to only do so when the traffic signals indicate it is safe to cross.
If you notice that a street light is out or that maybe the light on a blue light emergency phone is not lit, please contact Campus Safety at 773.508.6039 to report it so it can be fixed. If you notice any other issues with a pathway, such as a crack in a sidewalk or dangerous ice accumulation, please contact the facilities department.
RAPE AGGRESSION DEFENSE (RAD) CLASSES
The Rape Aggression Defense class is a program of realistic, self-defense tactics and techniques. The RAD System is a comprehensive course for women that begins with awareness, prevention, risk reduction and avoidance, while progressing on to the basics of hands-on-defense training.
These classes are taught by certified RAD Instructors and provide you with hands on training along with a workbook/reference manual. Classes are held at the LSC throughout the year. To work with a trainer to organize a training class, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information or to reserve a spot in a RAD class, please email email@example.com
HOT SPOTS TOURS
Taking a Hot Spots Tour is a great way to see the surrounding Loyola neighborhoods. Our tour shows you popular places to shop, eat, conduct business or just socialize. We show you what's hot and what's not. A Hot Spots Tour is not simply a "don't go here" drive through the area. Rather, the tour is designed to help students identify real-world areas, behaviors and characteristics that are generally unsafe and that require some heightened awareness. The tour is guided by a Crime Prevention Specialist who will provide you with safety tips that can be useful as you explore our community and the world. For more information or to schedule a tour, contact our Student Community Liaison Officer at 773.508.2462 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.