Sexual assault is extremely common in the United States, including among college students. If you have been sexually assaulted, you are not alone.
- 1 in 6 women will experience completed or attempted rape in her lifetime*
- 1 in 33 men will experience completed or attempted rape in his lifetime*
- College-age women are 4 times more likely to be sexually assaulted than women in the general population**
- 5% of college women are sexually assaulted each year***
- 25% of college women (1 in 4) will experience completed or attempted sexual assault at some point during college***
- At least 85% of college sexual assault survivors know their attacker****
*National Institute of Justice & Centers for Disease Control & Prevention. (1998). Prevalence, Incidence and Consequences of Violence Against Women Survey.
**Rape, Abuse, & Incest National Network (RAINN).
***Fisher, B.S., Cullen, F.T., & Turner, M.G. (2000). The sexual victimization of college women. NCJRS Publication No. 182369. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Justice, National Criminal Justice Reference Service.
****National Center for Victims of Crime (NCVC). (2008). Acquaintance rape.