Faculty & Staff Directory
Hille Haker, Ph.D.
Title/s: Richard A. McCormick, S.J., Chair of Catholic Moral Theology
Office #: Crown Center 321
CV Link: Hille Haker CV
Hille Haker is the Richard McCormick, S. J., Chair of Moral Theology at Loyola University Chicago. She earned her doctorate (1997) and habilitation (2001) at the University of Tübingen and her dissertation – “Moralische Identität: Literarische Lebensgeschichten als Medium ethischer Reflexion” (“Moral Identity: Literary Life Stories as a Medium of Ethical Reflection”) - was awarded the dissertation prize in Catholic Theology in 1998. Prior to joining the faculty at Loyola, Dr. Haker was Chair of Moral Theology and Social Ethics in the Catholic Theology Department of Frankfurt University (2005 to 2009), Associate Professor of Christian Ethics at Harvard Divinity School (2003 to 2005), and Heisenberg Research Scholar (2002 - 2003). In Frankfurt, she was a Colleague of the Institute of Social Research of the Frankfurt School and co-director of the Cornelia Goethe Center for Women's Studies. She also served as co-director of the newly founded Forschungskolleg Humanwissenschaftern Bad homburg from 2007 - 2010.
At present, she is a member of the European Group on Ethics in Sciences and New Technologies (EGE) of the European Commission and is Co-Director of “Concilium,” an international journal of theology. She is also a member of the German Academy of Ethics in Medicine (AEM) and an associated member of the International Center for Ethics in the Sciences and Humanities, University of Tuebingen.
Meta-ethics (e.g. agency, virtues and norms as ethical concepts), fundamental theological ethics and methods (normative ethics and hermeneutical/experiential ethics), social and political ethics (human rights and justice, citizenship), bioethics (reproductive medicine, human genetics, and new technologies), feminist ethics (existentialist and care ethics), and aesthetics and ethics (modern literature and narratives as medium of/for ethics).
Books in Preparation
- Recognition and Responsibility: A Critical Theory of Christian Ethics
- Marktwirtschaft und Menschenrechte (Mohr Siebeck, Tuebingen), with O. Schumann and M. Schroeter, forthcoming 2012
- Religiöser Pluralismus in der Klinikseelsorge (Lit, Berlin), with G. Wanderer and K. Bentele, forthcoming 2012
- Experientielle Ethik (Quaestio Disputatae, Herder, Freiburg), with C. Mandry, forthcoming 2013.
- Hauptsache Gesund? (2011)
- Moralische Identitat (1999)
- Ethik der genetischen Fruhdiagnostik (2002)
- Trafficking, Concilium 47,3 (2011) (with Lisa Cahill and Elaine Wainwright)
- Natural Law, Concilium 46,3 (2010) (with Lisa Cahill).
- Perspektiven der Medizinethik in der Klinikseelsorge, Walter Moczynski, Hille Haker, Katrin Bentele und Gwendolin Wanderer (Hrsg.), Berlin, Münster, Wien, 2009.
- HIV/AIDS. Concilium 43, 3 (2007) (with Regina Ammicht-Quinn).
- Medical Ethics in Health Care Chaplaincy. Essays, Walter Moczynski, Hille Haker und Katrin Bentele (Hrsg.), Berlin, Hamburg, London u.a., 2009.
- Women in World Religion. Concilium 42,3 (2006) (with Marie-Theres Wacker und Susan Ross)
- Ethik-Geschlecht-Wissenschaften, mentis/Paderborn 2006 (with U. Konnertz u. D. Mieth).
- Cyberspace – Cyberethik - Cybertheologie. Concilium 41,1 (2005) Grünewald 2005 (with E. Borgmann u. S. Van Erp).
- Struktureller Verrat. Sexueller Missbrauch in der Kirche. Concilium 40,3 (2004), Grunewald 2004 (with R. Ammicht-Quinn und M. Junker-Kenny).
- Humane Genetik? Jahrespublikatin Ethik und Unterricht, diesterweg 2002 (with J. Dietrich und S. Graumann).
- The Ethics of Genetics in Human Procreation, Ashgate/Aldershot, 2000 (with D. Beyleveld).
- Ethics of Human Genome Analyis. European Perspectives, attempto/Tübingen 1993 (with R. Hearn u. K. Steigleder).
- "Kein Kind um jeden Preis!" - Hessischer Rundfunk, June 4, 2012
- ARD Interview: "Food from Cloned Animal" in Frankenstein's Grillteller
- Ethische Fragen der Präimplantationsdiagnostik, Prof. Hille Haker - Bibel TV das Gespräch
- The Ethical Complexity of Embryonic Stem Cell Research