LEED Certified Buildings
Our Commitment to Green Buildings
The Institute of Environmental Sustainability (IES) is the latest in Loyola's fleet of high-performing buildings. Starting with the Klarchek Information Commons and continued with Cuneo Hall, the Niehoff Nursing School, the Damen Student Union, and De Nobili Hall, Loyola is exploring how green buildings can support a premiere educational experience. Loyola is committed to integrating sustainability throughout the curriculum, culture, and campus in the built and intellectual infrastructure of the university.
Loyola has committed all new construction & renovations, where possible, to at least a Silver rating through the US Green Building Council’s Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) standard.
- LEED Silver: Klarchek Information Commons, Norville Athletic Center, Damen Student Center
- LEED Gold: Cuneo Hall, Marcella Neihoff School of Nursing, Institute of Environmental Sustainability, De Nobili Residence Hall
- Coming Soon: , Quinlan School of Business (Target TBD) and Center for Transformational Research (Target TBD)
The University's Richard J. Klarchek Information Commons is LEED Silver certified
- Uses double-skin facade for passive management of heat flow and natural ventilation - a first in Chicago. Additional design includes a vast array of innovative environmentally friendly technology and recycled materials. Click here to learn more about this building's environmental features.
One of Loyola’s newest building, Cuneo Hall, is a cutting-edge, high-performance academic center designed to be highly energy efficient. Features include:
- 60% more energy efficient than similar buildings due to mechanical, electrical and plumbing features.
- Exploit daylighting to save money on lighting costs and improve the learning environment.
- Operable windows and the main atrium design allow natural ventilation with a room-by-room user interface.
- Advanced radiant in-ceiling system provides additional heating and cooling in classrooms.
- High performance exterior includes advanced technology with a traditional appearance that compliments and fits into the original campus plans.