For Residential Students
Summer Scholar students come to Chicago from all across the country as well as many international locations bringing with them a wealth of cultural and ethnic diversity. Living on campus introduces students to an invaluable opportunity for learning about people's differences and similarities.
All residential students live and eat together in a single undergraduate residence hall on the Loyola's Lake Shore Campus. Within the residence hall, we provide: security, a staffed front desk, several lounges, a water station, laundry facility, and common kitchen.
Below you will find important information specific to residential students as you move forward toward summer!
- Residential Move-in & Move-out Day
- Airport Shuttle
- Packing List
- Mail or Care Packages
- Laundry Facilities
- Leaving Campus with Family and/or Friends
RESIDENTIAL MOVE-IN & MOVE-OUT
|Program||Move-In Date||Move-Out Date|
|SPELL (1)||June 13, 2015||July 11, 2015|
|Foster Youth||June 18, 2015||July 15, 2015|
|6-Week Academy||June 27, 2015||August 8, 2015|
|Seminar A||June 7, 2015||June 13, 2015|
|Seminar B||June 14, 2015||June 20, 2015|
|Seminar C||July 12, 2015||July 18, 2015|
|Seminar D||July 19, 2015||July 25, 2015|
|Seminar E||July 26, 2015||August 1, 2015|
|Seminar F||August 2, 2015||August 8, 2015|
- Make sure you are aware of which residence hall you have been placed:
- Standard check-in hours are between 9am and 12:30pm. Remainder of check-ins will resume from 4:30pm to 8:00pm.
- If you require transportation from either Chicago airports or from any of the nearby Metra stations, we provide a free shuttle service. For inclusion on the shuttle list, students need to e-mail their itineraries to: email@example.com within 48 hours of arrival.
- Proceed to your designated residence hall to begin the check-in process. We will provide you with important information regarding your stay and request that you complete any missing documents.
- All students must depart the residence hall by 10:00am.
- If you require transportation to either Chicago airports or any of the nearby Metra stations, students must e-mail their itineraries to: firstname.lastname@example.org within 48 hours of departure
- Students must sign-up to be checked-out of their rooms at the hall front desk.
- Prior to check-out, student rooms must be cleaned and have all personal items taken downstairs.
- Upon final check-out, you will receive a final copy of your room inventory form, fill out a survey and return your room key before departing.
- Failure to return your room key will result in a $150 key replacement charge added to your student account.
We provide free shuttle service for residential students traveling without an adult.
- We pick-up and drop off from both Chicago airports as well as nearby Metra and Amtrak stations.
- Shuttle service is available on arrival and departure days only.
- Students must email their itineraries to: email@example.com within 48 hours of their arrival and/or departure.
- We will confirm receipt of arrival and/or departure details via email.
Please review our shuttle schedule (listed below) prior to making your travel reservations.
|Move-In||AM Shuttle||8:00am to 12:00pm|
|NO SERVICE||During Family Orientation 1:00 - 4:00pm|
|PM Shuttle||4:30 - 8:00pm|
|Move-Out||AM Shuttle Only||8:00am to 12:00pm|
Each student's room will come with a pillow, sheets, blanket, as well as a towel; you are welcome to bring along an extra blanket or toiletries. Below is an additional list of suggested items which students may want to bring with them. Pleae pay close attention to items which are prohibited in the residence hall.
Suggested Packing List
- Rainproof wind-breaker or jacket and umbrella
- Swimsuit and sunscreen
- Personal Toiletries
- Shower shoes or flip-flops
- Alarm clock
- Power strip with surge protector
- Laundry basket and supplies
- Cleaning supplies
- "Long-Mask Masking Tape" (or blue painter's tape -- which does not remove the paint!)
- Desk lamp (non-halogen)
- Computer and/or Printer
- TV, DVD player, or Game System
- Automatic shut-off iron and ironing board
- Small electric fan
Prohibited Items (Not Allowed on Campus)
- Alcohol, including "decorative" containers
- Illegal drugs, including related drug paraphernalia and apparel
- Halogen lamps, including desk lamps
- Firearms, including mace and pepper spray
- Cigarettes, including related apparel
MAIL OR CARE PACKAGES
Incoming letter mail and packages arriving USPS, FedEX, UPS, Airborne, DHL, and all other express services will be received by the Loyola's lakeshore campus mailroom. In order ensure accurate and timely delivery, all envelopes and packages MUST BE ADDRESSED AS FOLLOWS:
|Student Full Name Pre-College Summer Scholars ProgramLoyola University Chicago6317 N. Broadway AveChicago, IL 60660|
Laundry facilities are located within each residence hall and you will need to provide your own laundry supplies. In order to use the laundry machines, you must deposit funds onto your Loyola ID cards called Rambler Bucks. These Rambler Bucks can be loaded on your Loyola ID card in the following ways:
- Cash: locations can be found both on and off-campus.
- Check (with a minimum of $50.00): at the Office of the Bursar, located at:
- Lake Shore Campus: Sullivan Center, 1st floor
- Water Tower Campus: Corboy Law Center, Lobby
- Credit Card: using the Online Card Office.
LEAVING CAMPUS WITH FAMILY AND/OR FRIENDS
Parents and/ or guardians must provide permission 48 hours in advance via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. The person(s) granted permission to pick up a student must be an adult, 18 years or older, assuming full responsibility while they are away from campus. This email permission must include:
- Name of responsible party
- Contact information for responsible party
- Day and times the visit will take place
A student is authorized to leave once our office places a confirmation call to each parent/guardian.
On the day of the visit, the responsible party is required to enter the hall to sign the student out in the presence of a program staff member. And upon returning to campus, they will also be required to enter the hall to sign the student back in and alert the program staff of their presence.
We ask that overnight absences be kept to a minimum and relegated only to weekends. This is because you are expected to take part in weekend programs and activities.