Alternative Text & Document Conversion
The Alternative Text service is available through SSWD for students with visual or other print-related disabilities. SSWD can assist qualified students with obtaining their texts in alternative format, such as audio or e-text. SSWD has established the following process to ensure that your required readings are received in a timely manner.
- Students must meet with SSWD Staff to determine if they are eligible for alternative text services.
- If eligible, students will complete Alternative Text Agreement to be kept on file.
- Students must provide SSWD with the list of required books for each class, preferably before the start of the semester.
- Students are required to purchase their own copy of the text, and must provide proof of purchase for SSWD to keep on file.
- Students are required to provide SSWD a copy of their class syllabus. SSWD will attempt to obtain syllabi directly from faculty; however this is not always possible.
- SSWD has an institutional membership to Learning Ally, which is a national lending library that provides texts in audio format. Students may use Loyola’s membership or purchase their own. When books are available through Learning Ally, SSWD will provide copies of the audiofiles through a 3rd party website, via email, or through a Loyola sharing site.
PDF Conversion to Audio/Enlarged Font/Word Document
SSWD will contact the publisher to request an electronic version of the text; this will usually arrive as a PDF. SSWD will then convert the PDF to the required output.
In-house Scanning Conversion
If the book is not available through the publisher, SSWD will request to borrow the student’s copy of the book/required readings to scan and convert in-house. Students need to allow at least 5-7 business days for SSWD to complete the scanning of the book. SSWD will the convert material to the required output.
Depending on conversion load, SSWD converts materials according to your class reading schedule. SSWD makes every attempt to have the conversion at least 4 days prior to due date on syllabus. SSWD will e-mail student when reading is ready to be picked up from SSWD office.