Tips for New Students
Preparing for Graduate School
These ideas have been gathered from students, staff, and faculty in the Loyola MSW Program at Carthage.
- Be sure to make the necessary financial arrangements prior to the start of the program.
- Fill out 2 Federal FAFSA forms. Mark FULL TIME STUDENT. One is for the current academic year . This application will cover the two summer terms April through September.
- The second FAFSA form will be for the academic year starting in the fall. FAFSA forms can be filled out on line at http://www.fafsa.ed.gov. There is no charge to submit this application.
- Applications for financial aid from Loyola need to be submitted to the Admissions office at Loyola.
- Maximum financial aid for one year of full time graduate study is $18,500.
- Consider how and where you will be doing your papers and research. Review your technology and its capabilities.
- Most students prefer to work from home, others plan to come to the Carthage library. Both Loyola's & Carthage's library databases and Loyola's student records systems are searchable through the internet. The libraries' databases contain full text articles that can be downloaded and printed from home.
- Consider the capabilities of your computer. The computer needs to have Adobe Acrobat, software that allows computer users to view documents across incompatible computer programs. A free version of Adobe Acrobat can be downloaded at: http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat.
- Students working from home will need an internet service provider to connect through the internet to the libraries' web based databases.
- Students who are new to computers or the internet have found that it is difficult to learn these skills while in their first, intensive term. They suggest that incoming graduate students learn as much as possible about the internet and computer applications.
- The School of Social Work uses the publication style of the American Psychological Association which has very specific procedures for citations and references. There is a publication manual that will be available in the Carthage Bookstore. There are computer programs that provide a template of this style. Before buying a new program, it may be helpful to talk with students about their success using the various programs that are available.
- Visit the program's website here.
- As you have questions ask Craig Perri, the Assistant Director, who can be reached at (262) 597-8171 and e-mailed at email@example.com.