Post MSW School Social Worker Endorsement (PEL License)
Post Masters Professional Educator License- School Social Worker Endorsement (PEL)
This program is for graduates with an M.S.W. degree from an accredited School of Social Work who are seeking the required courses and field placement for licensure as a school social worker in Illinois.
- Master degree in Social Work from an accredited program
- Pass all four sections of the Test of Academic Proficiency (TAP)(formerly known as Basic Skills Exam)
Note: Students may substitute a composite ACT Plus Writing score of at least 22 or a composite (mathematical and critical reading) SAT score of 1030 for the TAP test within 10 years.
The ISBE Form 73-60 must be submitted to the Student Services Office in the School of Social Work via fax (312) 915-7090 or delivered to 111 E. Pearson St, Chicago IL 60611 Room 850 in order to obtain substitution authorization.
- Application materials due by March 1st
- Successful completion of 14 credits (2 required classes and one externship)
- Pass the ISBE Content Area Test for school social work (ISBE #184) before the start of the 2nd semester of the externship. Official test results with a passing test score is due to the School of Social Work Student Services Office, 111 E. Pearson St. Room 850 by January 1 in order to continue the externship.
- Required Course Work
- Enroll in SOWK 609 Social Work Practice in Schools (Fall only)
- Enroll in CIEP 401 Exceptional Child (Summer prior to externship or Spring)
- Classes may be completed online or in the classroom
- Student must receive a grade of “C” or better in each class
- Externship Requirements
- Enroll in SWFI 640 for fall (4 credits)
- Enroll in SWFI 641 for spring (4 credits)
- Externships must be completed in an Illinois public school for an academic year (August to June) for a minimum of 500 hours (2 or 3 days per week)
- Students generally arrange their own externship in an Illinois public school, however referral assistance may be obtained from the second level internship coordinator
- Required Meetings
- Students must attend one meeting per semester at Loyola with their assigned field liaison