Post MSW School Social Worker Endorsement (PEL License)
Post Masters Professional Educator License- School Social Worker Endorsement (PEL)
This program is for graduates with an M.S.W. degree from an accredited School of Social Work who are seeking the required courses and field placement for licensure as a school social worker in Illinois.
- Master degree in Social Work from an accredited program
- Pass all four sections of the Test of Academic Proficiency (TAP)(formerly known as Basic Skills Exam)
- The scores for the Test of Academic Proficiency (TAP-400) or the previous Basic Skills test (300 or 096) will be honored for up to ten years.
- Please note exception - The ITLS Basic Skills Test (#096) (administered prior to September 11, 2010) cannot be applied to fulfill passing requirements for the test of Test of Academic Proficiency.
- Students may substitute the following tests for the TAP test:
- ACT: a minimum composite ACT score of 22 & a minimum combined English/writing score of 19
- SAT: a minimum composite (mathematics and critical reading) score of 1030 and a minimum score on the writing of 450.
- The official score report from either an ACT or SAT cannot be more than 10 years old (month/year) at the time of the application to be a PEL candidate/school specialization. Please also note that the ACT with the required plus writing component was initiated in March 2005. ACT scores prior to that year and month even if within the 10 year window are not acceptable.
- Please review the substitution rules as outlined in the section entitled Applying for Full Admission to an Illinois Educator Preparation Program from ISBE at:
- Please note that effective June 12, 2014, students have the option of re-taking the TAP, ACT or SAT test in lieu of the TAP as many times as necessary to achieve passing scores.
Note: Students may substitute a composite ACT Plus Writing score of at least 22 or a composite (mathematical and critical reading) SAT score of 1030 for the TAP test within 10 years.
ISBE substitution rules
Beginning January 1, 2014 the ISBE form 73-60 will be discontinued. In its place Students who wish to substitute an applicable ACT or SAT test must first create an ELIS account and then request that an ACT Plus Writing or SAT score report be sent to ISBE.
- Application materials due by March 1st
- Successful completion of 14 credits (2 required classes and one externship)
- Pass the ISBE Content Area Test for school social work (ISBE #184) before the start of the 2nd semester of the externship. Official test results with a passing test score is due to the School of Social Work Student Services Office, 111 E. Pearson St. Room 850 by January 1 in order to continue the externship.
- Effective April 2014, all content-area tests will be administered only in Computer-Based Testing (CBT) format.
- Required Course Work
- Enroll in SOWK 609 Social Work Practice in Schools (Fall only)
- Enroll in CIEP 401 Exceptional Child (Summer prior to externship or Spring)
- Classes may be completed online or in the classroom
- Student must receive a grade of “C” or better in each class
- Externship Requirements
- Enroll in SWFI 640 for fall (4 credits)
- Enroll in SWFI 641 for spring (4 credits)
- Externships must be completed in an Illinois public school for an academic year (August to June) for a minimum of 2 or 3 days per week
- Students generally arrange their own externship in an Illinois public school, however referral assistance may be obtained from the second level internship coordinator
- Required Meetings
- Students must attend one meeting per semester at Loyola with their assigned field liaison & academic advisor.